Japanese text entry broken

K

krogerfoot

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi,

I saw an unresolved exchange about an issue that I'm now encountering. A few days ago I became unable to enter Japanese properly in Word documents. When I type in a Japanese word, the selection of kanji that match the input kana no longer comes up with the space bar. If I hit the space bar within a few hundred milliseconds of entering the text, it sometimes comes up with the correct kanji, but more often the entered text is deselected before conversion.

For instance, to get the word 設定 'settei' (settings), you'd normally type in せってい and then hit space; the most likely kanji for that reading would come up, followed by alternative characters. Hitting return accepts the conversion.

Now, however, the menu doesn't come up, making it nearly impossible to get kanji into the document. Worse, the system now deselects so quickly that it is difficult to even type kana - せってい tends to come out as せtてい or sえってい.

I was using Japanese Word 2004 on a Mac Pro (Intel) running OS10.5.8 (Leopard). Following Jeff Chapman's advice in another thread ("Japanese text entry issue," Oct 23, 2009), I tried manually switching to hiragana input in OSX Kotoeri, confirmed that Japanese was selected in Tools > Language Options, tried trashing preferences as described at http://word.mvps.org/Mac/damagedPrefs.html, tried switching the OS to Japanese, tried setting System Preferences > International > Word Break to 'Japanese,' and finally upgraded to Office 2008 (which I have installed on another Mac here at home). The problem persists, and ONLY in Word, not Excel or any other MS product, and not in any other program.

Furthermore, I have (luckily) had no such problem with my other computer (MacBook running OS10.6.3 [English], Word 2008 [Japanese]), so I can at least work. On the Mac Pro, I'm reduced to typing Japanese text in other programs and then pasting it into Word docs. Has anyone found a solution to this issue? I'm completely out of ideas.

A

admilon

Hello,
I have the same issue with a Powerbook G4 and 10.5.8.
It works as expected on my MacBookPro.
Anybody solved that issue?
There's a whole thesis on that G4 including Japanese text ...
thanks
admilon

Ask a Question