Link to PDF: "no program is registered to open this file".

Reaction score
I am running Office & Word 2007 on W7. Starting recently, when in Word, I attempt to follow a hyperlink to a PDF document, after the security warning, I get the error from Microsoft Office Word, "No program is registered to open this file."

The file type association is intact, correctly opening any PDF with Adobe Reader. I have verified that the Default Program for PDF files is set to Adobe Reader.

The file type association used to link PDFs to Nitro PDF Reader, but I have since:
- uninstalled Nitro PDF Reader
- unistalled Adobe Reader
- installed Adobe Reader X version 10.1.2
- restarted Windows

Links to PDFs open correctly from Outlook 2007, IE8, and File Explorer, but not from Word 2007 or Excel 2007.

Reaction score
PDF Hyperlinks

I am having the same problems. On various Windows 7 pc's - hyperlinks to PDF documents do not open and display a message that no program is registered to open this file... we have tried all suggestions from uninstalling adobe reader, repairing Office, re-register the Adobe Reader, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dee

Reaction score
Did anyone come up with a fix?

I am also experiencing this problem. My user cannot open a .pdf from a hyperlink in a spreadsheet. Using Windows 7, and most current Adobe X Reader.

Reaction score
Windows 7 Pro, Excel 2007, Acrobat Reader X

This worked for me on Windows 7 Pro SP1 running Excel 2007 and Adobe Reader X, other users have reported their Acrobat Pro worked as well for those that had that set as their default pdf reader.

If you're comfortable making registry changes, adding a few keys did the trick for me.

I added the 'Open' key under HKCU\Software\Classes\pdf_auto_file\shell

Under the 'Open' key add another key called 'command'

Set the default string in that key to the preferred pdf handler path enclosed in double-quotes, followed by a space and "%1" <-include the double-quotes here too, see exported registry below for reference.
For Adobe Reader X on my system the path is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
The whole string together: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1"
If using the line above this one for reference, the double quotes are part of the string value.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\pdf_auto_file\shell\Open]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\pdf_auto_file\shell\Open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Reader 10.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe\" \"%1\""

Last edited:

Ask a Question