Locate text in range (multiple occurrences) and report other cell insame column?

U

ulrik.hillaert

Haha, I'm delirious, this really works!!!! I think that I've demonstratedmy noob status above. What I simply did was right clicking the master sheet and choose view code and next paste everything into the master sheet.... I don't know how to thank you!!! Best regards, Ulrik

Dear Ron,

Just wanted to add that I tried it on my "real" worksheet and it works perfectly as well.
For all the guys out there reading this post: "he's the man!"
Coming back to my own knowlegde on VBA. I don't think that I'll ever be able to reach the level of knowledge that you have, but it frustrates me endlessly that I have to bother others to get to these solutions. Luckily, thereare people like you willing to spend their time helping out noobs like me.The only disadvantage on this journey is that I have only learned one thing: I don't know shit about it. So here's my last question: Where do I start? Do you have a good reference to a book or e-learning course where I couldget the basics?
Once again, many thanks and I hope that I'll never have to bother you again!
Best wishes,
Ulrik

R

Ron Rosenfeld

Haha, I'm delirious, this really works!!!!
I think that I've demonstrated my noob status above. What I simply did was right clicking the master sheet and choose view code and next paste everything into the master sheet....
I don't know how to thank you!!!
Best regards,
Ulrik

Glad to hear that it works. Thanks for the feedback. There is most likely some "Prettying up" you can do with regard to the formatting. Post back if you run into problems.
Unfortunately, I usually don't post that "boiler-plate" when dealing with someone who is already working with macros. So I've learned something also.

R

Ron Rosenfeld

Dear Ron,

Just wanted to add that I tried it on my "real" worksheet and it works perfectly as well.
For all the guys out there reading this post: "he's the man!"
Coming back to my own knowlegde on VBA. I don't think that I'll ever be able to reach the level of knowledge that you have, but it frustrates me endlessly that I have to bother others to get to these solutions. Luckily, there are people like you willing to spend their time helping out noobs like me. The only disadvantage on this journey is that I have only learned one thing: I don't know shit about it. So here's my last question: Where do I start? Do you have a good reference to a book or e-learning course where I could get the basics?
Once again, many thanks and I hope that I'll never have to bother you again!
Best wishes,
Ulrik

My learning has been over many years, and mostly by trying and failing and trying again. Unfortunately (for you), I'm not aware of books or other ways to speed up the process. I never had formal training (although I did go to Dartmouth back in the '60's when they were developing BASIC and Algol (and their predecessors). At this point, I use the HELP files along with Google, but that won't give you the basics. If no one posts anything useful, I would suggest starting a new thread with an appropriate title to try to get that information.

R

Ron Rosenfeld

On said:
Dear Ron,

I have tried to implement the code in my original worksheet, but apparently, the simplified model that I posted was too simplified for me to translate it to my original worksheet. Read : I didn't manage to implement it my original worksheet. Can I ask for your help once again?
It might be better to post my "real" spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B72kGj3AVfwnaWFXN2Fzck0xdFE/edit

Some little words of explanation:
Worksheet "Sjabloon": Based on this worksheet, the worksheets for the different stakeholders should be generated (format only)
Worksheet "Master": The names in Column "Last name" are the names used for the separate worksheets
Worksheet "Field Mapping" This is a planning worksheet. For each worksheet created based on the names in worksheet master, the corresponding data should be extracted from this worksheet.
Worksheet "Example". This is how the report should look like

As you can see, there is already vba code included to generate the separate tabs for each stakeholder, but I don't manage to "read-out" the worksheet Field mapping as you did in your example.

Hope this all makes sense?
Thank you once again!!!!
Ulrik

It's been quite a while, Ulrik.

Question: Can you guarantee that there will be NO duplicate Last Names in the Last Name column of worksheet "Master"? (e.g. related persons). If not, we will need to use a different worksheet naming scheme.

R

Ron Rosenfeld

On said:
Dear Ron,

I have tried to implement the code in my original worksheet, but apparently, the simplified model that I posted was too simplified for me to translate it to my original worksheet. Read : I didn't manage to implement it my original worksheet. Can I ask for your help once again?

Worksheet "Sjabloon": Based on this worksheet, the worksheets for the different stakeholders should be generated (format only)
Worksheet "Master": The names in Column "Last name" are the names used for the separate worksheets
Worksheet "Field Mapping" This is a planning worksheet. For each worksheet created based on the names in worksheet master, the corresponding data should be extracted from this worksheet.

As you can see, there is already vba code included to generate the separate tabs for each stakeholder, but I don't manage to "read-out" the worksheet Field mapping as you did in your example.

Thank you once again!!!!
Ulrik

With regard to the worksheet you posted:
There was no code included
There was only information on Field Mapping for three "items", all with Ulrich listed as the Stakeholder
The last code I supplied you worked fine to generate the individual worksheets and populate Ulrich's sheet with the appropriate data.

R

Ron Rosenfeld

On said:
Dear Ron,

Thank you once again!!!!
Ulrik

ARE YOU STILL THERE?

Ask a Question