Managing Office 2008 Fonts

K

Kenny

Hi, we manage all of our fonts (except a very small handful of required system fonts) on all of our systems (using Suitcase Fusion). We even manage a few of our system fonts where we have full PostScript packages. We have an EXTENSIVE collection of mostly PostScript fonts gathered over the years. All new fonts, however, are always purchased in OpenType format if available.

So now we have these 130 or so fonts that Office 2008 ships with (which appear to be mostly TTF) and we need some best practices for managing.

Going through them, a lot of the fonts shipped we already have versions of. Most of the time they are PostScript collections with a much more complete set than what is shipped with Office (more weights, styles, etc.). So we would definitely prefer to keep these.

And we DEFINITELY do not want duplicate fonts all over the place! It's difficult enough to keep track and make sure that there are no conflicts with what we do have.

- Any real disadvantages of using our own versions of the fonts that come with Office when possible?

- Any other practices to keep in mind with all of these fonts?

- I noticed another thread mentioning a list of required fonts for MS Office 2004. Should I keep those available and activated for Office 2008 as well?

As a note, we will probably NEVER use any of the pre-canned MS templates - never have until this point.

C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

- Any real disadvantages of using our own versions of the fonts that
come with Office when possible?

I don't see why it would be an issue.
- Any other practices to keep in mind with all of these fonts?

- I noticed another thread mentioning a list of required fonts for MS
Office 2004. Should I keep those available and activated for Office 2008
as well?

I don't know for sure which fonts are required for Office 2008, but it
would probalby be a safe bet that the set is fairly similar to Office
2004. I would keep them active at all times.

Corentin

Ask a Question