Office 2008 starts very slow

A

Andrew Wolczyk

My 2.8 quad Mac Pro was taking a good 90 seconds to launch word. Using basic troubleshooting procedures to track the problem to my user folder by noting that Word launched in about 5 seconds from my guest account. After removing all prefs and extras with no success, I focused on other running processes. Long story short, the culprit was Suitcase 12.1.7. Disabling Suitcase immediately brought launch time back under 5 seconds. Re-enabling Suitcase causes launch times of well over a minute. I also noted that while Word was in the midst of an extended launch, quiting Suitcase would immediately end the delay.

Now the problem is what to do about it?

A

Andrew Wolczyk

Further to my previous post, I found that disabling global auto font activation in the Suitcase prefs seems to have fixed the problem. Well, its down to 8 seconds anyway. This should not effect Quark or CS as the have their own plugs.

R

Rubber_Ducky

Found a fix that worked for me...

Even after installing the 12.0.1 update, Office apps opened slowly (30-40 seconds) and then bogged down badly for the first few minutes of run (bogged down another app also: Spotlight).

Fix for me was to delete 100% of the Microsoft prefs and the .dotm/Normal file, then restart. Problem gone.

I think my Office 2004 prefs did not delete and we had Microsoft fighting Microsoft at the prefs level during app startup. MS prefs in place after restart are entirely different set, arrangement, etc. from before.

YMMV, but this worked for me...

J

John McGhie

Thanks Andrew:

That's useful to know!

Cheers

Further to my previous post, I found that disabling global auto font
activation in the Suitcase prefs seems to have fixed the problem. Well, its
down to 8 seconds anyway. This should not effect Quark or CS as the have their
own plugs.

--
Don't wait for your answer, click here: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia. S33°53'34.20 E151°14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:[email protected]

K

Kooljuice

Hi All,

I'm experiencing the same agonizingly slow startup times with Office for Mac '08. We're running several MacBook Pro and MacBook laptops. I've done hours of research on the net to try and solve the problem, to no avail. I've already sent this letter to Microsoft via their suggestion box, which I seriously doubt they read. With any luck, maybe they'll read this.

Microsoft Office for Mac 2008

I own a design studio that operate out of downtown Toronto, Canada. About six years ago, after years of never-ending problems with Windows as well as being frustrated by the complete lack of respect and support from Microsoft, we switched to Mac. There were a few small issues at first as the OS was indeed somewhat different from the Windows OS, but after a few weeks of getting used to a slightly different way of working, things have been a breeze. Apple has delivered on everything it promised and we've had absolutely no problems that weren't solved within a couple of hours ever since.

The same cannot be said for Microsoft or anything it has released in the recent past. Windows is a complete disaster and, though promises were made about Office for Mac 2008, it's also a mess.

It takes about 10 minutes for any of the Office '08 software to load. The splash screen appears and then just sits there, spinning its wheels for what seems like an eternity. After doing some research on the net, it was apparently an issue with typefaces. It was suggested that we turn off the WYSIWYG as well as the Project Gallery and that would speed up the startup. Not quite. Startup time was reduced to 8 minutes instead of the previous 10. In addition, Office took it upon itself to deactivate fonts that were activated by our typeface management software. This is absolutely unacceptable and yet another sign of Microsoft's lack of testing and complete disregard for its clients.

My questions are these:
1. Who, exactly, is in charge over there?
2. Has there been any testing of the software whatsoever?
3. Did the brilliant minds at Microsoft not realize that people who would use Office might need to use typefaces other than Helvetica, Arial and Times?
4. Do they even care?
5. Is there any respect at all for the people who buy the product?

I could go on but frankly, what's the point? Microsoft obviously thinks their own clients don't have the mental capacity to realize they're being insulted. I'm personally sick and tired of paying hundreds of dollars for software that doesn't work nearly as well as advertised. Not only does the software not solve the problems it promised to solve, it actually creates new ones to frustrate users even further.

Marko Kuljis
Creative Director | Partner
The NineFive Design

J

John McGhie

Hi Marko:
I've already
sent this letter to Microsoft via their suggestion box, which I seriously
doubt they read. With any luck, maybe they'll read this.

No, it's the other way around. "Send Feedback" they read. They have an
engineer assigned to read it every day.

It's HERE that they don't read.

This forum is for user-to-user communication. You and I talking to each
other. Microsoft leaves us to it, in here.

If you sent that in through Send Feedback, believe me, they read every word
:)

Hope this helps

--

A

Andrew Wolczyk

Did you read my post (about 3 or 4 back)? I suspect Suitcase is your problem.

BTW, I'm also in downtown Toronto :)

B

Byron McConnell

Hi,
Immediate improvement: I just tried Andrew Wolczyk's 3/26/08 post suggestion re: Suitcase. I simply quit Suitcase X1 and I was able to startup all the MS Office 2008 apps, each within 10 seconds. Fantastic. Thank you! Just got the new Suitcase Fusion last week, but haven't installed it yet. I hope it doesn't present the same issues as Suitcase X1.

FYI:
This is a followup to someone's further questions re: my PowerBook G4 (it's about 4 years old, but the specs aren't too bad):
- Mac OS X 10.4.11
- Processor: 1.33 GHz
- RAM: 2 GB DDR SDRAM
- HD: 80 GB (capacity: 74.41 GB; Available: 43.24 GB)
- Graphics: 64 MB

I have run DiskWarrior (the full treatment & replaced the catalog) within the past two weeks and I run Disk Utility (permissions) weekly as an attempt at preventative maintenance.

My MS Office 2004 starts up very quickly. It's just the new MS Office 2008 that's so painfully slow at startup. Although this week I'll try John McGhie's (3/15 post) suggestions.

A

Andrew Wolczyk

see my previous post about disabling global auto font activation from within Suitcase!

D

DR ROY

I have had problems all along over the years with Power Point taking a few minutes or more in opening.

Recently, a friend saved the presentation by "compressing it."

Now it opens in seconds.

I still can't find out where the compression application is. It seems that it compresses the files so taht the entire presentation si not so big.

No problems using keynote but what to do with all the old lectures saved in Power point?

ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO COMPRESS THE PRESENTATIONS? BEFORE OR AFTER IT IS COMPLETE? :frown:

J

John McGhie

Sorry? I am mystified as to what this has to do with "Office 2008 starts
very slow"?

I think you have a much different problem. Please post your own question,
in the PowerPoint forum, so we get all the version information that applies
to your computer. It is not really possible to answer the question without
that.

See here: https://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?product=PowerPoint&app=3

I have had problems all along over the years with Power Point taking a few
minutes or more in opening.

Recently, a friend saved the presentation by "compressing it."

Now it opens in seconds.

I still can't find out where the compression application is. It seems that it
compresses the files so taht the entire presentation si not so big.

No problems using keynote but what to do with all the old lectures saved in
Power point?

ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO COMPRESS THE PRESENTATIONS? BEFORE OR AFTER IT IS
COMPLETE? :frown:

--

M

Marko Kuljis

Hi Andrew,

I did indeed try your suggestion, but it didn't seem to help in any significant way... at least none that we were able to pick up on here. We've actually just decided to go back to Office '04 which, for some reason, starts up in seconds. I've left one copy of '08 up and running on my own laptop in case an update fixes the problem in the future.

I'm tired of dealing with this and don't want to waste any more time trying to figure it out. I've got my own job to do. The good people at Microsoft should do theirs and release software that works. The fact that it actually has trouble with Suitcase is ridiculous. They should assume that a fairly large portion of their Mac based users are going to be running Suitcase Fusion or something like it. It's not our job to find a thousand different solutions to a problem that should have been dealt with in development.

Anyhow, thanks to all who offered suggestions to try and fix it. Much appreciated.

Marko Kuljis
The NineFive Design

L

larryone

Hi Andrew,
I did indeed try your suggestion, but it didn't seem to help in any significant way... at least none that we were able to pick up on here. We've actually just decided to go back to Office '04 which, for some reason, starts up in seconds. I've left one copy of '08 up and running on my own laptop in case an update fixes the problem in the future.

I'm tired of dealing with this and don't want to waste any more time trying to figure it out. I've got my own job to do. The good people at Microsoft should do theirs and release software that works. The fact that it actually has trouble with Suitcase is ridiculous. They should assume that a fairly large portion of their Mac based users are going to be running Suitcase Fusion or something like it. It's not our job to find a thousand different solutions to a problem that should have been dealt with in development.

Anyhow, thanks to all who offered suggestions to try and fix it. Much appreciated.

Marko Kuljis
The NineFive Design

> Did you read my post (about 3 or 4 back)? I suspect Suitcase is your problem.
>
> BTW, I'm also in downtown Toronto :)
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm experiencing the same agonizingly slow startup times with Office for Mac '08. We're running several MacBook Pro and MacBook laptops. I've done hours of research on the net to try and solve the problem, to no avail. I've already sent this letter to Microsoft via their suggestion box, which I seriously doubt they read. With any luck, maybe they'll read this.
> >
> > Microsoft Office for Mac 2008
> >
> > I own a design studio that operate out of downtown Toronto, Canada. About six years ago, after years of never-ending problems with Windows as well as being frustrated by the complete lack of respect and support from Microsoft, we switched to Mac. There were a few small issues at first as the OS was indeed somewhat different from the Windows OS, but after a few weeks of getting used to a slightly different way of working, things have been a breeze. Apple has delivered on everything it promised and we've had absolutely no problems that weren't solved within a couple of hours ever since.
> >
> > The same cannot be said for Microsoft or anything it has released in the recent past. Windows is a complete disaster and, though promises were made about Office for Mac 2008, it's also a mess.
> >
> > It takes about 10 minutes for any of the Office '08 software to load. The splash screen appears and then just sits there, spinning its wheels for what seems like an eternity. After doing some research on the net, it was apparently an issue with typefaces. It was suggested that we turn off the WYSIWYG as well as the Project Gallery and that would speed up the startup. Not quite. Startup time was reduced to 8 minutes instead of the previous 10. In addition, Office took it upon itself to deactivate fonts that were activated by our typeface management software. This is absolutely unacceptable and yet another sign of Microsoft's lack of testing and complete disregard for its clients.
> >
> > My questions are these:
> > 1. Who, exactly, is in charge over there?
> > 2. Has there been any testing of the software whatsoever?
> > 3. Did the brilliant minds at Microsoft not realize that people who would use Office might need to use typefaces other than Helvetica, Arial and Times?
> > 4. Do they even care?
> > 5. Is there any respect at all for the people who buy the product?
> >
> > I could go on but frankly, what's the point? Microsoft obviously thinks their own clients don't have the mental capacity to realize they're being insulted. I'm personally sick and tired of paying hundreds of dollars for software that doesn't work nearly as well as advertised. No

D

DAW

I run MS Office 2008 on an iMac G4 FP 1Ghz with Leopard 10.5.2. Word 2008 is definitely much slower to open than the Office 2004 version. Mine takes about 65 secs to open on first startup and about 30 secs to re-open. It can be a little hesitant during typing, copy & paste as well. MS Excel takes about 25 secs to start first time. A mag review did say that Office 2008 for Mac was quite slow on non-intel machines. Nevertheless, I don't think this is too bad for an older computer like mine. I removed most of the non-English proofing tolls and it made a tiny difference.

T

tommoore14

Hi Dwight,

Could you describe you environment a little
more. Such as if you're conntected to a network. Are you User files
(Documents, Pictures, etc...) located on a network share or on your local
computer.
Does this issue occur when you have quit all other
applications?
Do you have any software installed that adds items
to the contextual menu (Control-click), menubars, etc... that affects all
applications?
Did you have a previous version Office installed on
yoru computer before you installed Office 2008? If so, what?

One thing you can try is to:
1. Quit all Office Apps
2. In the Finder, Navigate to: <Hard
Disk>/Users/<UserName>/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/
3. Rename the folder called "Office 2008" to
anything else like "Office 2008_old"
4. Boot Word
5. Quit Word
6. Boot Word again

Let me know, if the problem still
persists.
-- Jeffrey WestonMac Word TestMacintosh Business
UnitMicrosoft

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
< href="mailto:D[email protected]">[email protected]>
wrote in message href="thanks for your reply. I did try a reboot, serveral times but without luck. I
also did a fresh install, no luck. All Office 2008 apps are slow on my
Mac: Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Entourage. I looked at the splash
screen today of both Word, Powerpoint and Entourage but none give me any
feedback whatsoever. *sigh* There is one thing I found strange. RIf I
rightclick the icon in the talkbar of any MSFT application I start I get the
'force quit' option which suggests it hangs during startup. That's what it
feels like as wel. I launch the app, I hangs for 5 minutes, refinds itself and
then goes to work like nothing happend... Are there any tools that I
can use to find out what it's doing in the
background?
* ********************* Jeffery,
I did as you suggested above and it sped up the boot process a great deal. What do I do with the "Office 2008_old" folder? A new one was created with fewer files in it. Thanks for your help.
Tom Moore

D

Diane Ross

I did as you suggested above and it sped up the boot process a great deal.
What do I do with the "Office 2008_old" folder? A new one was created with
fewer files in it.

It's just preferences. Delete it after you are satisfied that you have all
of your settings...like your custom Dictionary....

C

Cheryl

Bob,

I tried your suggestion and am very pleased to say that it resolved my slow/hanging startups for the Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2008 apps. Thanks a million!

Cheryl

D

Diane Ross

Bob,

I tried your suggestion and am very pleased to say that it resolved my
slow/hanging startups for the Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2008 apps. Thanks a
million!

Which specific thing helped. Was it running Repair Permissions or Repair
Disk?

A

aRKay

Diane Ross said:
Which specific thing helped. Was it running Repair Permissions or Repair
Disk?

I would like to know what helped? For some reason Entourage 2008 12.1
has slowed down and takes forever to startup. It used to be snappy but
seems to have bogged down and loads in slow motion.

J

John McGhie

If it bogs down AFTER it was once working properly (i.e. Not as a result of
a change or update, but just slows down over time...) then I would first
suspect the Database.

Do a full rebuild of the database and see if it springs back to life.

If your database is over 2GB, consider creating a fresh new blank identity
and copying into it only the items you absolutely KNOW that you will "need".
Creating and managing identities is described in the Entourage Help.

You can always open the old identity to get back the stuff from long ago.

Size and complexity are the enemies of speed :)

Hope this helps

I would like to know what helped? For some reason Entourage 2008 12.1
has slowed down and takes forever to startup. It used to be snappy but
seems to have bogged down and loads in slow motion.

--

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia. mailto:[email protected]

Ask a Question