PowerPoint Crashing ALL THE TIME!

S

seant

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC

Is anyone else having an issue with Power Point crashing frequently after upgrading to 12.1.2?? I can't put my finger on what's causing it, but I can add a new slide, add text in the notes area and click bullets, SAVE, switch slides... all of which have caused PP to crash (none of them are consistent, but those are the tasks that seem to proceed a crash). I haven't had any problems with Office 2008 until this. I tried trashing the Power Point prefs, and it seemed to work much better, then out of the blue in the middle of typing it crashed and quit! I sent an error report of Microsoft. If anyone is experiencing the same or if anyone had ideas on how to fix this, PLEASE let me know!!

Thanks,
Sean

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC

Is anyone else having an issue with Power Point crashing frequently after upgrading to 12.1.2?? I can't put my finger on what's causing it, but I can add a new slide, add text in the notes area and click bullets, SAVE, switch slides... all of which have caused PP to crash (none of them are consistent, but those are the tasks that seem to proceed a crash). I haven't had any problems with Office 2008 until this. I tried trashing the Power Point prefs, and it seemed to work much better, then out of the blue in the middle of typing it crashed and quit! I sent an error report of Microsoft. If anyone is experiencing the same or if anyone had ideas on how to fix this, PLEASE let me know!!

Thanks,
Sean

Hi,

If you have PDF content in the file, the problem has been reported.
Usually there is a fix in a future update, so be sure your settings
allow for automatic office updates.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

WE NEED YOUR HELP!
The number of new Mac users has skyrocketed. That’s excellent. In this
forum all answers come from other users, not from Microsoft employees.
Please help answer questions.

If you see an unanswered question that you know the answer to, please
take just a moment to post the answer. Doing so speeds response time for
people who come here and need fast responses.

If you see an answer that might be wrong or that you can answer better,
hop right in and offer your thoughts. Don’t berate a wrong answer –
we’re all here trying to help each other.

Don’t bother with questions you’re not quite sure about or don’t know about.

Please take just a moment to help fellow Mac users. Your efforts will be
appreciated greatly - especially by those you help.

B

Bill Duncan

I too am getting frequent crashes of PPT as well, and I am not using any PDF files. Most of my crashes do seem to be related to inserted pictures, however all of mine are .wmf, .gif, or .png. The biggest cause of my crashes is trying to save back to PPT 2004. PPT 2008 doesn't crash ... it just wipes all the information off the slide in question: no pictures, no text, and it is now a title slide instead of a regular slide.

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Bill said:
I too am getting frequent crashes of PPT as well, and I am not using any PDF files. Most of my crashes do seem to be related to inserted pictures, however all of mine are .wmf, .gif, or .png. The biggest cause of my crashes is trying to save back to PPT 2004. PPT 2008 doesn't crash ... it just wipes all the information off the slide in question: no pictures, no text, and it is now a title slide instead of a regular slide.

Hi,

Can you isolate it to certain WMF files?

Can you identify the source of those files?

Thanks.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

WE NEED YOUR HELP!
The number of new Mac users has skyrocketed. That’s excellent. In this
forum all answers come from other users, not from Microsoft employees.
Please help answer questions.

If you see an unanswered question that you know the answer to, please
take just a moment to post the answer. Doing so speeds response time for
people who come here and need fast responses.

If you see an answer that might be wrong or that you can answer better,
hop right in and offer your thoughts. Don’t berate a wrong answer –
we’re all here trying to help each other.

Don’t bother with questions you’re not quite sure about or don’t know about.

Please take just a moment to help fellow Mac users. Your efforts will be
appreciated greatly - especially by those you help.

S

seant

Thanks for the feedback! I have narrowed it down that it seems to happen most frequently when inserting a picture from file (I'm using .jpg). But, it did crash a few time (albeit far less) when I didn't attempt to insert a picture into my presentation and just text on a slide. Whatever this issue is I hope gets worked out because it makes PowerPoint useless to use due to all the constant crashing!

Sean

C

CyberTaz

Hi Bill;

Your issue is definitely *not* the same as what Sean was reporting but it's
impossible to offer you meaningful suggestions because you haven't given any
details about your OS X version (XX.XX.XX), Office version (XX.XX.XX), or
type of Mac. Those factors can make a big difference.

Since this is a different issue please post a separate NEW message including
all particulars. It's never a good idea to jump in on a thread - especially
when the circumstances are not identical.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

C

CyberTaz

Hi Sean;

If you're convinced that PPt is crashing due to JPEG files your problem is
decidedly different than what Jim thought it might be. JPEG is *not* a
vector format & vector graphics (specifically PDF) are the only ones
involved in the issue Jim mentioned.

Please post a reply message including all particulars about your OS X &
Office versions (XX.XX.XX), config of your Mac model, what PPt format you're
saving in, as well as any other details you can supply.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

I

Iggles14

Your issue is definitely *not* the same as what Sean was reporting

I didn't realize until after I had posted that the problems with PDF files had been documented. What I saw was someone having problems with graphics inserts causing crashes. It felt similar.

And I'm accustomed to posting on the Apple Discussions where your hardware and OS version are available.

But I will take your advice and post a new problem with all my specs.

Duncan

J

Josephine

I am having PPTX crashes on 2008 iMacs in lab when trying to open these in PPT 2008 on Leopard OSX.5.4. I have done the uninstall, reinstall, MSO updates, database rebuilds, verifications, repairs and pretty much anything else, yet PPT is still crashing on opening these files. It does not seem to have any other pattern other than when you try to open these pptx files that can be created by the same iMac just moments before or any pptx files. It tries to open the file and then gives the standard, "Microsoft Powerpoint has encountered a problem and needs to close....when you look at the problem log it states
EXC_BAD_ACCESS. It does have blame module name QuickTime and I have QUickTime Pro 7.5 on these lab Macs.
Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

J

Josephine

Hello me again,
Powerpoint 2008 pptx files after doing another verification, repair and restart on 2008 iMac, I can open small pptx files (less than 1MB) directly from pptx file. If over that size I have the pptx file crash powerpoint and give same "MS PPT encountered error..." as above, but I can now open these files from the Application just not directly from pptx file. Do not know why but at least it is a little better.

Ask a Question