PowerPoint presentation not showing

B

b33frun

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I have a presentation that was saved by my son on an Intel Mac at school, but when he attempted to open file at home an error message pops up reading, "powerpoint cannon open file represented in (my user drive)". The original extension was in .pptx, so i attempted to change it to .ppt and nothing seems to function.
Does anyone have an answer for this problem?

J

Jeff_Chapman

The .PPT and .PPTX formats are vastly different, even though they both belong to PowerPoint. Just changing the file extension will not make them work. In fact, you should NOT change the file extensions yourself, but rather open them in the appropriate version of PowerPoint and then resave them.

What version of PowerPoint is your son using at school, and what version of PowerPoint is he trying to open the file in at home?

The .PPT extension is supported by PowerPoint for Windows from 95 to 2007, by PowerPoint for Mac up through 2008. In contrast, the .PPTX extension is only supported by PowerPoint 2007 for Windows and PowerPoint 2008 for Mac. You can download a converter for earlier version of PowerPoint that will open .PPTX files, however.

Not sure if this a version problem your son is having, but anyhow this should be the first thing to look into.

Let us know how it went!

Jeff

C

CyberTaz

It sounds like maybe there are different user accounts on your Mac & the
file has been copied to a location not accessible by the account from which
PPt is being run. Is this happening when the file is double-clicked, when
using File> Open from within the program, both methods...?

As Jeff pointed out, arbitrarily editing file name extensions does not
change the file type. It can also create problems because the program
attempts to open the file using specs based on the file type ‹ the wrong
"instructions" to the program can break the file.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

B

b33frun

CyberTaz: Yes, the problem occurs when the file is double-clicked, as well as right clicked and open file is pressed.

Jeff: At home, we are using powerpoint 2008 for Mac. At school, my son mentioned that the layout is not the same as at home, so I figure the program is not the same version. I will have a better answer on Monday when school resumes.
Are there any converters that you recommend until then??

B

b33frun

One more thing I wanted to mention, was that on preview, I can see the entire slide show presentation. Under the file>Open section, the computer does not give you the option to open file, it shows up as un-highlighted.
Hope that information helps out a bit more.

C

CyberTaz

OK - If the file was created on a Mac it was most likely done using PPt
2008, possibly 2004, conceivably Office v.X... but that should make no
difference. The OXML (.pptx) format is the same regardless of which PPt
release generates it.

Have you tried using File> Open from within the program? You made no mention
of that. It may work even though the other methods fail, and if it does
simply saving the file should correct the other behaviors.

Make certain that your version of Office is fully updated ‹ Current is SP2
(12.2.0) plus a general interim 12.2.1 Office update. Once you've got the
updates applied run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions, shut down & wait
a moment before starting up. That should resolve it if I'm wrong about the
account consideration I mentioned in my previous reply. If you still have
the problem please quote the exact wording of the error message.

BTW: It's only the Office 2004 suite that needs the Converters which enable
those apps to recognize the OXML format ‹ Office 2008 needs no converters to
work with the older binary file format.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

B

b33frun

update: upon attempting to open file through powerpoint. File>Open and selecting file, the message was the same. I then did what was recommended, that is switching users, but the similar problem occurred.

J

Jeff_Chapman

At home, we are using powerpoint 2008 for Mac. At school, my son mentioned that the layout is not the same as at home, so I figure the program is not the same version. I will have a better answer on Monday when school resumes.
Are there any converters that you recommend until then??

Microsoft publishes a free converter for all versions of PowerPoint for both Mac and Windows. This converter will convert the .PPTX (PowerPoint 2007/2008) format to the .PPT format that older versions of PowerPoint can read and understand.

However, you mentioned that you are using PowerPoint 2008 for Mac at home, but that the file your son uses at school is already in the .PPTX format. This format should be readable by PowerPoint 2008. So it doesn't sound like the PowerPoint version is an issue. Indeed, you said that you can see the preview thumbnail and the slide show (with Quick Look in Finder?), so the presentation data is at least readable on your system at home from the sounds of it.

Just a wild hunch, but can you try copying the .PPTX file to your desktop, and then opening it? Perhaps PowerPoint is having some troubles opening the file from removable media.

Also, try this:

1. On the Mac in a Finder window, right-click on the file (or CTRL+click) and select Open With - Other.

2. From the list of applications in the Applications folder, select the Microsoft Office 2008 folder, PowerPoint 2008, make sure that the "Always Open With" box is checked, and click Open.

Let us know how it goes.

Jeff

Ask a Question