Runtime error 2147467259 (80004005) method return address of object envelope failed

Reaction score
I searched this error and found a similar posting in 2005 and it says to post in the current forum.

Using Quickbooks program version 2016 contractor & using Microsoft word version 2016. Trying to print an envelope in QB and an error pops up 'Runtime error '2147467259 (80004005) method return address of object evnelope failed. At one time I had used Microsoft word to print an envelope and clicked on 'OMIT' to avoid printing the return address. So I unclicked 'he 'OMIT' then tried to print the envelope in QB and it worked! But now I am trying to do it and it doesn't work. I even rebooted my pc hoping it would clear the glitch and it still doesn't work. Now I have to exit QB and open word go to MAILINGS & ENVELOPES and type in the information. What a pain. Why can't QB & MIcrosoft fix this issue. Us customers shouldn't have to suffer dealing with trying to figure things out when we pay for these programs. I am very frustrated and may ditch both programs but for now PRAYING someone will fix the error.

Any advice ?

Reaction score
Forgot to add:
When using Microsoft word not connected to QB the envelope prints fine. Not sure why it doesn't work in Quickbooks. I posted in QB forum as well.

Reaction score
this is QB reply to a posted question :
We appreciate you taking the time to share this with us. I'll do everything I can to help you make sure you can print envelopes in QuickBooks Desktop.

The error you got can occur if the Omit Address option is selected in Microsoft Word. It could also be that the Normal.dot template may be damaged.

There are several ways to resolve this. Choose the solution that works best for you.

Solution 1: Deselect the Omit Address option in Word

Microsoft Word 2007, 2010, and 2013

1. Create a new document in Microsoft Word.
  2. On the Mailings tab, click Envelopes.
  3. On the Envelopes and Labels window, uncheck Omit.
  4. Click Add to Document.
  5. Reopen Envelopes and Labels to ensure Omit is unchecked.
Solution 2: Rename the Normal.dot

1. Close all instances of Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, and QuickBooks.
  2. Locate all occurrences of the file Normal.dot (Word 2003) and/or Normal.dotm (Word 2007/2010/2013).
  • Click the Microsoft Windows Start button, and then choose Search.
  • In the Search Results window, select All files and folders.
  • Type Normal.dot in the All of part of the file name field, and then click Search (this will find either .dot and/or .dotm files).
  • It may be necessary to enable searching in Hidden Locations.
3. Rename each occurrence of Normal.dot and Normal.dotm that appears in the Search Results so that a number precedes the file name. Example: 1normal.dot.

4. Open QuickBooks.

5. Open an invoice and try to print an envelope. This will cause the Word to create a new Normal.dot or Normal.dotm file.

If this doesn't do the trick, you can try running Repair for Microsoft Office. For information and instructions, please visit the Microsoft Support website.

Please let me know if you're still unable to print envelopes. I will be right here if you need more help.

Ask a Question