Security Shortcut-Newbie Question

R

Ripper

I followed Joan's steps to secure a database using the securit wizard.
Everything went smooth. Now I have this shortcut on my desktop that opens
the secure database. I need that shortcut in a server folder for everyone to
use.

I am going to split the database into a BE/FE. Lets assume BackEnd/FrontEnd
are the names. BackEnd will be in the folder P:/UCD and FrontEnd will be in
folder P:/TeamWork

How to I split and separate the database from the desktop shortcut if I
can't even see the database?

J

Joan Wild

Ripper said:
I followed Joan's steps to secure a database using the securit wizard.
Everything went smooth. Now I have this shortcut on my desktop that opens
the secure database. I need that shortcut in a server folder for everyone to
use.

No you don't. That shortcut points to the database on your computer - you don't want everyone opening the copy on your computer.
I am going to split the database into a BE/FE. Lets assume BackEnd/FrontEnd
are the names. BackEnd will be in the folder P:/UCD and FrontEnd will be in
folder P:/TeamWork

You should give each user a copy of FrontEnd on their PC. The frontend will contain linked tables (linked to Backend in P:\UCD)
How to I split and separate the database from the desktop shortcut if I
can't even see the database?

Right-click the shortcut and look at the target line. It'll have something like:
"path to msaccess.exe" "path to mdb" /wrkgrp "path to secure mdw"

You can locate the mdb via the path indicated in the 'path to mdb' part. Copy that mdb to p:\UCD (this'll be the Backend).
Now double-click your shortcut and open/login in to the mdb on your computer. Delete the tables/relationships. Hit Ctrl-O and open the Backend on p:\UCD. Delete all the objects except for the tables. Hit Ctrl-O and reopen the Frontend on your computer. Use File, Get External Data, Link Tables and navigate to the Backend on P:\UCD. If you navigate via My Network Places (rather than the mapped drive), Access will use the UNC pathname to the backend; that way you won't run into problems should some users not have the P: drive mapped that same as you.

Now you have the Frontend on your computer linked to the tables in the Backend, and a desktop shortcut pointing to the Frontend on your computer

You should copy the secure mdw from your computer to the P:\UCD folder, and then modify your desktop shortcut target to point to the new location of the secure mdw.

Now you can copy the Frontend to each user. If everyone has Access installed to the same folder, and you put the Frontend in the same location on each computer, then you can also copy the desktop shortcut you have to each user (it's just a file with a lnk extension).

Ask a Question