Security wizard on MDE

D

deb

I am new to implementing security in Access.

I have split my db.
Changed the FE to a MDE.

I noticed that the tables and queries can still be altered.

Can I use the Security Wizard on the Front End MDE? Will this lock down the
tables and queries?

Any other suggestions? What steps do I take to secure the db?

Thanks in advance

S

Scott McDaniel

I am new to implementing security in Access.

I have split my db.
Changed the FE to a MDE.

I noticed that the tables and queries can still be altered.

Can I use the Security Wizard on the Front End MDE? Will this lock down the
tables and queries?

Since you mention a split application, then you'd need to secure the backend file to protect your tables, and the
frontend file to protect your queries and links. You'd do this on the .mdb file, then create your .mde file (never tried
it on an .mde file, but I'd assume it won't work, since you must be able to import all objects to a new database and you
can't do that with forms/reports/modules in an mde file).

Of course this will only secure you from outside access - if you allow the user to login to your app with a valid
username and password, then they will generally have the permissions needed to link to or import your tables and
queries. You can stop this action by using RWOP queries and removing all direct access to tables, but this isnt' a
trivial exercise. The link to Joan Wild's site below has a good explanation of RWOP usage.
Any other suggestions? What steps do I take to secure the db?

See Joan Wild's site for step-by-step instructions, as well as several links that will prove enlightening:

www.jmwild.com
Thanks in advance

Scott McDaniel
scott@takemeout_infotrakker.com
www.infotrakker.com

Ask a Question