Select text of a particular shading color (VBA macro)

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am trying to use a macro to select text of particular shading in word ( I later want to change that shading and highlight it rather).

I are having trouble in selecting text of a particular shading color.

Using

char.Font.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor <> wdColorAutomatic

works, selecting characters of any shading other than automatic, but using

char.Font.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorYellow

does not work. I want to be able to select text with a particular shading color. Any ideas as to why this isn't working or what might work rather?

Thanks

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You need to be clear about whether you're working with a font's shading or its colour - the two are entirely different. A red font, for example, can ordinarily be expected to have a .Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = 0 (wdAuto), but a .ColorIndex = 6 (wdRed). Shading would typically give the font a coloured background without changing its colour.

Using .Font.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorYellow to shade a designated character or range works for me.

Reaction score
Hi @macropod

I am working with the font shading color. I am clear about that.

I am able to change the shade of a designated character or range to desired color; BUT I am not able to "select/find" character/range with a particular shade.

Thanks,
Ananya

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Since you're collaborating with Gradtrainer, how about you just wait until his question is dealt with.

Ask a Question