Sorting Data Error Message

S

sonjateri

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

when i try and sort the data, i am getting a message that says "the operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized".

What does that mean????

S

subtlecoolness

how can i check?

I whipped up a script to find merged cells.

Download <http://subtlecoolness.com/stuff/find-merged-cells.scpt> and put it in ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Excel Script Menu Items/

Then, with your worksheet open and a range of cells selected, select the Script Menu (the little script icon to the right of Help) and select "find-merged-cells".

If the script finds a merged cell, it will select it and tell you. It will also let you know if it did not find any merged cells.

M

marilynmackay

Tried following instructions and received a reply which read
"Unable to read the file because the script is not editable (it was saved as run-only)."

Now what?

M

marilynmackay

VICTORY! Visually go through your spread sheet and be sure no columns or rows are merged - they must show a line clearly between them. When you find the merged cells, hold the CTRL key while clicking on the highlighted merged cell. A menu will come up with FORMAT CELLS. Click on it and you should see a check mark in the box marked "merge cells". Uncheck it and a line should appear meaning the cells are now UNMERGED. Try sorting and it should work. I found 3 cells in my document. You will be cross-eyed but it works. Good luck

Ask a Question