Spinning beach ball/very slow/can not send mail

S

smitty195

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop Hi,

Okay, I'm having an issue here that I just can't figure out. I am using Entourage for Mac 2008, version 12.2.1. Everything has been working just fine until today, and now I'm stumped....

When reading emails, when I click on the arrow to read the "next" email, I get the Apple spinning beach ball of death. This is happening on every email. I also get the spinning beach ball when Entourage goes to retrieve mail. After a few seconds, spinning beach ball.

I also can not send email, and my emails are just sitting in the "Outbox". The message I get is: "Connection to the server failed or was dropped". I went to my the web page of my ISP (Comcast), and I can send and receive emails with no problems at all, so the email system is not down.

I thought that maybe my "Sent" and "Deleted" folders were too full, so I just deleted about 3,000 "Sent" emails and about 2,000 "Deleted" emails. I quit Entourage, and re-started....and the issue is still there. I currently have about 1,000 emails in the "Deleted" folder, and about 2,000 emails in the "Sent" folder. I don't know if that has anything to do with this, but just thought I'd mention it.

Up until today, Entourage has been performing flawlessly. Any help or suggestions? Thank you!

D

Diane Ross

Up until today, Entourage has been performing flawlessly. Any help or
suggestions? Thank you!

Check the Outbox. Do you have a message there that is trying to send?

Steps to help determine where the problem is located.

1. you can eliminate your Identity by creating a new Identity in Entourage
and see if you experience the same problem.

2) if a new Identity still exhibits the same issues, then create a new User
in System Preferences and test Entourage there.

3) If the problems still exist in the new User, it's a problem with your
Office install or your base OS files.

S

smitty195

Thanks, Diane. I have printed this out so that the next time it happens, I will follow these steps.

Entourage is working very well now, and the thing that got it to work again was deleting the one email that was sitting in my "Outbox". I don't understand why that fixed it.

Ask a Question