Text graphic created in Photoshop for PPT

M

murman

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Hello all:

I have a slide that I need to have better control over certain type elements. I was simply going to create some graphics in Photoshop and import them into the PPT by Insert/Picture/etc.

Problem is, the type is fuzzy when imported into the PPT. Any suggestions most welcomed!

J

Jeff_Chapman

What image format are you saving to from Photoshop?

PowerPoint has traditionally had problems with displaying bitmapped images a little (or a lot) fuzzy in Normal mode. See if the image actually displays clearly when you switch to Slide Show mode.

Speaking of type, have you checked out all of the type-related features from the Format - Font and Paragraph menus? PowerPoint 2007/2008 has improved dramatically over previous versions when it comes to text handling. About the only thing you really can't do well now is type on a path. But if you use Quick Styles from the Formatting Palette, you can actually do quite a lot with text moving along a path, as long as you don't get too demanding :-D

Jeff

Jeff

M

murman

Hi Jeff:

Thanks for your reply. I saved in jpeg and Photoshop. As jpeg photos show up clearly, I am unsure why a graphic with type shows the type as fuzzy. I read something about the fact that PPT anti-aliases things, so I even tried to turn the anti aliasing off in a PS document.jpg and that too was fuzzy.

Specifically, I have been provided with a deck that has a couple of tables that of course have way too much info in them to fit properly, necessitating the need to reduce the type to below 8pt, which is the lowest I could go in PPT, right. Also, I can't figure out how to reduce the "margins" within the table cells. Went to Format/Paragraph/Paragraph/Space Before which was set at .96pt (preset?) and and typed in .1pt, nothing happened.

Maybe I should just ask if I want to insert text in from another app for appearance for anything, what is the best way.

TIA for your help!

S

Steve Rindsberg

Thanks for your reply. I saved in jpeg and Photoshop. As jpeg photos show up
clearly, I am unsure why a graphic with type shows the type as fuzzy.

Two reasons:

1) The JPEG format is intended to do a good job of compressing photo-type images to
a high degree and w/o visible "artifacts". What works well for photos doesn't work
so well for graphics that are mostly flat or gradient colors with hard-edged shapes
like text. To get an idea of what happens, save a jpg of your text at the highest
compression PShop offers. Ugly, isn't it?

For that reason, you're better off using an alternate format like PNG, which
compresses vector/flat graphics well but is lossles -- no weird little artifacts and
other ugliness.

OR save as JPG but uncompressed.

2) PowerPoint's own antialiasing blurs things a bit. You can't turn that off, but
sometimes it helps to start with a higher resolution image than you really need.

J

Jeff_Chapman

Specifically, I have been provided
with a deck that has a couple of
tables that of course have way too
much info in them to fit properly,
necessitating the need to reduce
the type to below 8pt, which is the
lowest I could go in PPT, right.

Actually, although the font size slider will only go down to 8 pts. in size, you can type a lower font size into the input box. (Formatting Palette, Font section)
Also, I can't figure out how to
reduce the "margins" within the
table cells. Went to Format/Paragraph/
Paragraph/Space Before which was set
at .96pt (preset?) and and typed in
.1pt, nothing happened.

Try doing a right-click or Control-click in the cell, select Format Table, Text Box tab, and change the margin using "Internal Margin". If you just want to apply it to a single cell or a selection of cells, make sure that the cursor is positioned within the cell. If you want to apply it to the whole table, right-click on the table edge and select Format Table.

Hope this works for you - let us know if you have more questions.

Jeff

M

murman

Specifically, I have been provided
Actually, although the font size slider will only go down to 8 pts. in size, you can type a lower font size into the input box. (Formatting Palette, Font section)

Try doing a right-click or Control-click in the cell, select Format Table, Text Box tab, and change the margin using "Internal Margin". If you just want to apply it to a single cell or a selection of cells, make sure that the cursor is positioned within the cell. If you want to apply it to the whole table, right-click on the table edge and select Format Table.

Hope this works for you - let us know if you have more questions.

Jeff

Thanks for your reply. I tried the control click/format table/internal margin thing. The default was .1px and when I type in anything less (.05) and then click in the next box (right margin) the .05 reverts to .1 . Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

C

CyberTaz

Because of an effort to prevent people from creating unreadable slides :)
PPt's table features are purposely constrained. The .1 inch Internal Margin
of cells is the minimum. Here's an alternative that may work for you...

If you truly want to jam the text up closer to the walls of the cells, cut
the table from PPt, paste it into a new Word document & take advantage of
Word's table formatting features. You can even use Format> Paragraph -
Indentation to set a negative left indent if you wish.

When done, paste it back to the slide. (You don't need to save the Word
file.) It will be pasted in as a MS Word Document Object. If you ever need
to edit it again just dbl-click it to open the table object in Word.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question