Track Changes - attempts to edit produce an"this is not a valid selection" prompt.

C

cruzen

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Background: I'm in the process of switching from a PC to a new Mac. I have copied Word 97-2003 documents to my Mac, and have the student version of Word to Mac software on it. The version of the documents now has a .doc extension when I open it on the Mac.

Problem: When I attempt to edit the document, my first keystroke results with a prompt saying "this is not a valid selection". All the Track Changes functions on the tool bar are faded or "off" and I can't activate these functions. I feel I am missing a step somewhere due to the file transfer.

More Background: When accessing the same Word file on my PC, I am able to edit the document, but the Track Changes functions don't work - no underlining, no colored text, no bubbles noting the author. The Track Changes button on the toolbar on the original document also does not "turn on", so I now realize this is probably at the root of the problem.

Is there a way to change file settings or whatever to turn on Track Changes in a Word document?

C

CyberTaz

It sounds like the doc has Protection turned on from the PC side - Mac Word
doesn't support those same features, so the doc is simply rendered as not
editable. The title bar most likely contains the phrase Read Only.

The next time you open it on a PC check the Protection settings.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question