Two requests to speed up typos on spellcheck in entourage

N

nachosdead

These two requests would speed things up typos in entourage-- 1) sometimes a misspelled word comes up, it's just a typo, you know how to spell it, but the Entourage dictionary does not-- so it does not appear as one of its suggestions. It would be great if in the "Not in Dictionary" box where the misspelled word appears if you could just make the correction in this box, click "change", and it would accept the new spelling. Office in Windows has this function, it would be great if Entourage did. 2) another nice simple addition would be to put in a uppercase function as a toolbar option, this would easily clean up typos that are just formal names-- given the preference "Ignore Words in Uppercase." If there are solutions for the above, please let me know. best, n

D

Diane Ross

These two requests would speed things up typos in entourage-- 1) sometimes a
misspelled word comes up, it's just a typo, you know how to spell it, but the
Entourage dictionary does not-- so it does not appear as one of its
suggestions. It would be great if in the "Not in Dictionary" box where the
misspelled word appears if you could just make the correction in this box,
click "change", and it would accept the new spelling. Office in Windows has
this function, it would be great if Entourage did.

In Preferences (under Entourage in the Menu bar) select Spelling. ˆ Check
spelling as you type. When a word has the red squiggly line under it, use
control key and click on the word. You have the option to Add this word, or
select the spelling suggested.
2) another nice simple
addition would be to put in a uppercase function as a toolbar option, this
would easily clean up typos that are just formal names-- given the preference
"Ignore Words in Uppercase." If there are solutions for the above, please let
me know. best, n

YOU MEAN LIKE THIS?

Or this

you mean like this?

Again, control click and select Autotext Cleanup --> to Uppercase or to
Lowercase.

The rewrap paragraphs under Autotext Cleanup is very useful to clean up all
that redirected email you get that's been forwarded multiple times.

N

nachosdead

thank you so much for your quick response. I don't think i explained these requests/problems clearly. Unfortunatley, your suggestions did not resolve these two issues.

#1) say you are spell checking an entire email, and you have several typos with the red squiggly. say you have a typo: e.g.. Bess,t

And Entourage, cannot recognize the simple solution for this: Best, because it does not have this typo in its repertoire of misspellings.

It would be great if one could correct the misspelled text 'Bess,t' to 'Best' inside the white box, i.e. the misspelled word box, (below the words) 'Not in Dictionary' that isolate the misspelled word 'Bess’t'

Right now, the only way to make this correction while in the midst of a spellcheck session, is to press Cancel, then press Don't Send, then leave spellcheck, then correct the word 'Bess,t' to 'Best' in the body of the text of the emai, then return to Spellcheck--a very time consuming process and keystroke intensive for what could be a very simple task if you could make the change while still inside Spellcheck-- for it's not mistake of not know how to spell a word, but the mistake of a typo. As I said in my first email, MSOffice in Windows has the ability to make this kind of easy correction inside Spellcheck, but Entourage does not. The solution you suggested, check spelling as you type in Preferences is one i'm aware of and use, as well as the control key function to highlight a word in the body of the text with a red squigly, I apologize for not making my request more clear in the first posting. what i am talking about, is the use of spellcheck and how one could correct a word that Entourage does not recognize, but the writer of the email does, and can easily fix without leaving spellcheck and getting onto the rest of the spellchecking that Entourage can help with.

#2) Thank you for your solution of Autotext Cleanup, I was unaware of this function. However, upon use I get global CAPITALIZATION OF ALL LETTERS, not the Capitalization of a Proper Noun, like bush to Bush, i am looking for. Or am I doing something wrong in the use of Autotext Cleanup? Does this function also exist, where once can just capitalize a Single Letter, as opposed to a THE ENTIRE TEXT? If, not, what would be great, and what would speed up a lot of correction/editing is to have a Icon in the Toolbar with the ability to correct a single word to a proper noun much like Microsoft word allows. Otherwise again, when spellchecking, a word like quigley, someone's last name, has a red squigly underneath it, and will come up under spellcheck, and while in spell check-- and again mind you, this is during the spellchecking of an entire document with several squiglies-- one has to leave spellcheck entirely, and correct this typo in the body of the text, etc. If one has a long document, and has to make a few of these types of corrections, this would save a lot of time. Again, if there is a solution for this, or if I misunderstood
your suggestions, I would very much would appreciate clarifcation, and your help, or getting these things into Entourage.

all my best, m

Than you so much for your help,

Bes,t max

B

Barry Wainwright

#1) say you are spell checking an entire email, and you have several typos
with the red squiggly. say you have a typo: e.g.. Bess,t

And Entourage, cannot recognize the simple solution for this: Best, because it
does not have this typo in its repertoire of misspellings.

It would be great if one could correct the misspelled text 'Bess,t' to 'Best'
inside the white box, i.e. the misspelled word box, (below the words) 'Not in
Dictionary' that isolate the misspelled word 'Bess¹t'

But Entourage does have this capability - you can type your correction in
the top box in the spelling dialog, then click change.

Or, am I misunderstanding your problem?

--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP (see <http://www.microsoft.com/mvp/> for details)
Visit the Entourage User¹s Weblog for Hints, tips and troubleshooting
information:
http://www.barryw.net/weblog/

N

nachosdead

wow. i never saw work before. that does it. thank you for point it out. this is great. very much appreciate your quick response. best, max

Ask a Question