Word Crashes on Close

W

WingShooter

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

Just updated from Office for Mac 2004, to 2008 (Expressions Media update). Upgrade went smoothly and all applications are performing as expected with one exception.

I open Word, work on a couple of documents, saving them as I work. When I am done and quit Word I get an error message telling me that "an error has occurred. Check your network connection, or make sure the disk is properly inserted and not defective" (Normal.dotm)" Clicking the OK radio button on the error message. I then get the typical follow on crash message telling that Word has "unexpectedly quit" and do I want to report it to Microsoft, restart Word, and recover any unsaved work that might have been in progress.

Behavior is consistent in that every time I shut down Word I get this error.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems or have any thoughts on what might be causing this? Very annoying.

Thanks

WingShooter

D

Daiya Mitchell

Other people have reported this error message, and one person said they
solved it by chasing down all older versions of the Normal template. See
the instructions here:
http://word.mvps.org/Mac/MacWordNormal.html
Be sure to look for the Normal template for Word 2008, Word 2004, and
any version of Word you ever had installed on the computer, and also try
searching for files named Normal.

W

WingShooter

Thank you both - removing the Normal Template Word file appears to have solved the problem.

Regards

WingShooter

Ask a Question