Are older versions of Access compatible with "mdac_typ.exe 2.8"

• Thread starter John Phelan-Cummings
  • Start date
J

John Phelan-Cummings

I have a split data base developed with Access XP Pro. The front-end has code that automatically links to the back-end in order that I can provide front-end patches. This requires that I have the latest "mad_type.exe 2.8" update in order for my application to work on XP, 98SE, and Windows 2000 machines. Yes, with the update it works just fine on my XP Pro machine and, so for, stand alone Windows 98SE machine where I installed the same mad_type.exe 2.8 update first.

I'm not sure if my Access runtime application interferes with a test site's, network which has it's own Access.

I need to know if this could be the problem: I first installed, "mad_type.exe 2.8" on a Windows 98SE machine (only) that is on a network; Without it, I cannot get my packaged application to do what I want. I did no server installations.

Microsoft says in their update notice,"IMPORTANT NOTE: The following version of the Microsoft Data Access Components (MAD 2.8) are not supported on SQL Server 7.0 or 6.5 clustered installations. Please do NOT install this release of MAD on such servers; doing so will break your cluster." Again, the machine I had it installed on was a Windows98SE that was a part of a network. I called Microsoft and they told me that I could install it on a '98SE machine as long as I do not install it on one of servers listed above. But guess what? Their cluster broke anyway. I need to know if, older versions of Access with older versions of "mad_type.exe" are compatible with "mad_type.exe 2.8" when installed on the same machine (i.e., Windows 98) not on a network.

I need to know if whether or not I need to exclude "98SE machines that are networked, from my list of machines that my Access application will work on.

Finally, I not familure with, SQL Server 7.0 or 6.5 clustered installations enough to know what typical operating systems are used on workstations.

John

Ask a Question