Need Help with Macro Security

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with a Macro Security issue in Excel 2016?

I received an Excel Spreadsheet from a person I trust as I've used previous copies of his spreadsheet when I was using Excel 2012. This spreadsheet has many pages, lots of Macros and code to check and double check what the user is doing. I placed this spreadsheet in a newly created folder, enabled it upon opening, but when I attempted to press an icon he created to launch a popup menu I received a message that stated "Cannot run the macro 'DisplayMenu'. The macro macro may not be available in the workbook or all macros may be disabled". I searched for help and all I can seem to find tells me to got to the Trust Center, go to Macro Settings and enable Macros. Well, within Macro Settings in the Trust Center, Macros are enabled so I'm not sure what the issue is. I know that this spreadsheet is functional as I've installed the same exact copy on a Windows 10 PC running Office 365 at my church and I had no issue with Macro's with that version of Excel.

Can anyone guide me on how to resolve this issue? Thanks.

Reaction score
Thought I would update my own thread. I was finally able to get some feedback from the author and he had a solution. He had me right click on the file name and then select Properties. At the bottom of the properties screen, below attributes there was a Security check box with a notation that said "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer". All I had to do was check the "unblock" check box and the Macro's started working. I had never seen this Security check box or notation on any file I've opened so I wanted to post this solution just in case some other poor soul runs into this same issue.

Ask a Question