Autocomplete and Spelling problems in Powerpoint!!

K

Khaled

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Hi,
I have noticed that since i started using powerpoint 2008 for MAC - i have an issue which i cannot seem to resolve.

It is with the Autocomplete feature.

As you know, when you type something that matches an autocomplete entry, the powerpoint will autocomplete the word for you, similarly for Auto Capilisation of words at the start of a sentence.

Well, this is good, but when it happens for me, powerpoint will mark the word as a spelling error - EXCLUDING the first letter.

An example will clear it up for you.

Say i want to type the word "auto" and it happens to be the first word of a sentence.

I type "auto"
pp08 will autocorrect it to "Auto"
however there will be a RED line under the "uto" and if you right click, of course there is no suggested word since it's not similar to any real word.

I have setup some autocomplete entries myself in office which i use regularly (like my company name) and when that autocompletes, the same thing happens, the first letter is NOT underlined, while the rest of the word is, and you cannot fix it other than to type the whole word out - defeating the purpose of autocomplete.

Surely someone else has seen this behaviour.

Try it, open a new PP08 file (cmd+N)
Click on the "Click to add title"
and type "auto" then press (spacebar) you will see what i mean!!

HELP!

C

CyberTaz

I'm certainly not contradicting you, but this is the first report I've seen
describing anything of this nature. I've not experienced it myself, nor can
I cause it to occur using your examples or any other. Both "AutoCorrect" &
"Check spelling as you type" work exactly as they should.

Since you didn't specify anything beyond the most basic information I'd
suggest we start with the most basic fixes :)

Make sure OS X is fully updated (10.5.4)

Make sure Office is fully updated (12.1.2)

Run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions

What happens if you try the same entries in Word? Does the problem persist
after a restart of your Mac? What happens if you run PPt from a different
user account?

Reply with your results/answers & we'll go from there :)

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

K

Khaled

Hi Bob,

The MacOS version is 10.5.4
The Office is at version 12.1.2
I ran the disk permissions

Funnily the same thing does not happen in word (I was using word quite some time before i had to start using powerpoint - so it has never happened in word or entourage for that matter)

I'll have to log off and back on with the new user to test that one - i'll post when done.

Thanks!
Khaled.

I ran the repair disk permissions - it did some stuff (mainly to do with my HP printer), i tried ppt again, but no go, same thing happens.

K

Khaled

Hi Bob,

I tried it from another user - it doesnt happen!?

so there's something wrong with my particular user setup...

K

Khaled

No ideas Bob?

This is really annoying - add to that the d**n pp08 now wants to force me to use a french dictionary for some stupid reason!!

I saw the other guy's post about french, but i dont have the same symptoms he has... no different font or anything like that!

Ask a Question