Cannot Print Spreadsheet

J

jelrod3

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard. I have Microsoft Office For Mac 2008 installed Version 12.2.4, which is the latest update. I have also updated my HP printer with the latest driver for Mac Snow Leopard . My printer works just fine. HP Tech Support advises that the problem is not with my printer. I can print documents from Word just fine. But I CANNOT print a spreadsheet or workbook from Excel!

I have been through several of the posts on the Excel Forum, and have checked to make sure that all suggestions posted have been followed. I still can't get the data on a spreadsheet to print! All that comes out of the printer is a blank sheet.

I have tried changing the "paper quality" in Print Preview, checking and unchecking "print borderless" and checking and unchecking "print gridlines" and "print headings." I have tried printing from Print Preview. I have even tried saving the workbook as a PDF file, and then opening that file and printing from it. Alas, this does not work either... a blank sheet comes out of the printer.

I also have Iwork installed on my computer. The "Numbers" application for spreadsheets works just fine, and prints with no problem whatsoever.

Can someone please help me? I have not called Microsoft Tech Support yet, but will do so if all else fails. Is this just another example of a buggy Microsoft product?

Many thanks!

C

CyberTaz

Well, unless I'm misunderstanding the tail end of your 3rd paragraph I don't
see how it can be an "Excel problem"... Once you create a PDF Excel is
completely out of the picture, so if the PDF displays properly but still
doesn't generate anything but a blank page I'd get HP back on the horn &
have them escalate to a support level that knows more about what's going on.

It isn't unusual for any given printer to 'print fine' from certain apps but
not from others. However, the app has nothing to do with the printing. It
simply calls the OS & notifies it that there is a printing task to be done,
hands the data off to the OS which then passes it along to the printer...
But different programs call for different levels of print services.

If the Excel content is getting to Preview (which is a different app
supplied by Apple) & is providing a successful PDF (which is essentially
'printing' to a file rather than to paper using a different driver) it
indicates that Excel is handing the data off just fine. The fact that it
isn't getting to the paper when sent to the OS/printer tells me that there
is a communications breakdown somewhere along the line. Pardon the
off-season football analogy but it sounds like the Center is making a
perfect snap... It's the QB or the Receiver that is dropping the ball :)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question