Charting nightmares in Excel 2k8

S

Steve West

I am having a problem with some Excel graphs I originally created in Excel 2004. When I open them in XL 2008 the x scale is wrong. If I open the scale dialog and just press OK I get an error message:

The entry is invalid for the data used by this chart.
Please enter a value that falls within the minimum and maximum data values used by this chart.

Checking or unchecking Auto options doesn't seem to help. Is there a workaround?

N

Nosila

I am near the end of a PhD and need to complete one more data set using 100 respondents. I use excel to record what they say. - oh and woh is me! The charts are impossible to finalize especially the labels. I need to be able to revise labels created from a pivot table. I need to be able to put the text on an angle for easy reading - I cannot do any of this. Where is the control to angle the horizontal axis data labels? It seems as though everything is there to look pretty but the real behind the screen workhorse has gone.
Can anyone help with the label issue. This is not a large data set but is text orientated.
Why do my charts collapse to thick lines after I've saved and closed for the night or sent to a friend for peer review.

J

Jessica Lambert [MSFT]

Hi Nosila,
Do you have a screenshot you can attach or post on a web site showing the
collapsed charts? The description of the problem you're seeing doesn't
sound familiar.

The labels along your horizontal axis can be rotated to be perpendicular to
the axis. Here's how:
1) Right-click or control-click on the axis
2) Select "Format Text..."
3) In the Format Text dialog, go to the Text Box pane
4) Select one of the options in the Text Direction dropdown menu.
You're correct that an option to put it at a 45-degree angle is not there.
This has been reported to the development team.

--
Jessica Lambert

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

. . . . .

S

Stephen West

If I open the scale dialog and just press OK I get an error message:

Okay I figured out what's causing this. The cell format I use is date (like May-08) and this text is getting picked up by the scale dialog, but that dialog requires dates to be entered with slashes (like 1/1/2008). If I change each field to that format it will accept the modification, until next time I open the dialog I have to do it all again.
When I open them in XL 2008 the x scale is wrong.

After saving and reloading the spreadsheet this is still occurring.

G

Greg Kitchen

I just downloaded and installed the new SP1 update and gave it a try.
Maybe it fixed someone's problems, but certainly not mine. My large excel files (from 2MB to 20MB) open slightly faster, which isn't saying much, but the graphing of large amounts of data seems to be even worse than before, and it was really bad before. It's an absolute nightmare. It's rotating pinwheel purgatory. It's bad enough trying to build a new graph from scratch, but even to modify the slightest detail on an existing graph means gazing at the rotating pinwheel for 30 seconds, a full minute, or even longer each time I try to change something. Just getting the graph to come up on the screen when I select its tab takes forever. Even closing a file without saving changes takes forever.

I just don't understand why it's so hard to maintain the same level of performance in a new version, let alone make any improvements. There are apparently improvements, but I spend so long watching that pinwheel that I never get the chance to find out. Unless I'm building very small spreadsheets with very small amounts of data, this software is still completely unusable to me. Tasks that used to take just a few seconds now take several minutes. I hope Microsoft is putting the money I paid them for this software to good use because it has been a complete waste for me so far. :angry: :angry:

J

Joshua

I have another issue to add to the list.

When I'm making several charts, I try to make the formating as identical as possible between charts. The best way I've found to do that is to get the formatting how I want it for the 1st chart and then copy the chart, change the references for the new chart, rinse & repeat.

However, changing the references for the 2nd chart is a major PitA when the references are not contiguous, ie using columns A, B, & D, but not C. Excel normally manages this by putting a coma between the references for the contiguous region (columns A & B) and the reference for the next region (Column D). Makes sense except for the fact that when editing the references to make the second chart work things fall apart.

It SHOULD work this way:
1. Select "Edit Chart Data"
2. Select the 1st range of contiguous cells (Columns A & B)
3. type a comma after the first selection
4. Select the second range of cells (Column D)
Done.

However, after selecting the 1st range of cells excel puts the cursor back at the front of the selection box. This means that when I type the comma it's before the 1st character of the first reference and selecting the 2nd region results in an invalid selection. I have to click back inside the reference pane to put the cursor at the end of the line (were it should have gone from the start), type the comma (which should be inserted automatically if I held down the option button when I start the first selection), and then select the next region, Rinse and Repeat.

J

Juliana Kliemann Chagas

Hi!
I`m having some problems with the "formatting palette" to edit the charts.
I`ve bought this office mac home student and i`ve installed one of the licenses in my MacBook and the other one in my iMac. The problem is that in the MacBook I have all that chart edit options in the formatting palette but in my iMac when I select the chart and then click in the toolbox the only option in the formatting palette is the "number" one, there is no other option.
What is wrong? Besides my brazilian English, of course....
HELP!

N

Number Cruncher

I just installed the newest update (12.1.1) in hopes that Excel's inability to handle large files and data sets with any kind of reasonable speed would be resolved. Alas, there seems to be no improvement at all, especially doing any kind of graphing of large amounts of data. Even editing and reformatting existing graphs is so painfully slow that it's not even worth bothering.

It's mind-boggling to have a new machine that is so powerful with so much memory and speed, but see it go to waste on this software for all but the smallest files. How can Microsoft be splashing ads for Office for Mac all over the place when it's not even usable in some cases? It's only useful to me if I'm working with small, simple files. :frown:

Ask a Question