Citation

Reaction score
i am new to ms word can any one please explain me with an example on how to use citation

Gagan,

This depends on which Style Manual you or the institution recommends. Here's a grab from an article I'm currently writing for a curriculum. I'm using Word 2003 with footnotes and the style manual is a footnote version with a Harvard style flavour. Since I'm using MS Word, the footnotes appear at the base of the page but when I copy and paste to html here, they turn out to be [1], [2] and [3] at the base of the sample I've given:

What is the size of the universe? One explanation is that

How long is a light year? NASA states that ‘the light-year is a measure of distance, not time. It is the total distance that a beam of light, moving in a straight line, travels in one year…. The resulting distance is almost 6 trillion (6,000,000,000,000) miles!’[3]
Notes:

[1] ‘According to modern physics, space and time are intimately intertwined and physically meaningless if taken separately from each other. See “Theory of relativity”’ (Wikipedia 2019. Universe. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe#cite_note-spacetime-10 (Accessed 26 April 2019).
[2] Ibid.
[3] NASA: GRC n.d. How long is a light-year? (online). Available at: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/Numbers/Math/Mathematical_Thinking/how_long_is_a_light_year.htm (Accessed 26 April 2019).

For my PhD dissertation, completed in 2015, I used a modified version of the the Harvard Style Manual through the University of Pretoria, South Africa. You can read the dissertation and its format at: Crossan and the Resurrection of Jesus: rethinking presuppositions, methods and models.

That link should give plenty of examples of citations.

Please understand that this is at a high level of research and presentation but I had to be precise (as much as possible) with the style manual prescribed. I wrote it using the MS Word 2003 word processor and the Uni has chosen to make it available online as a pdf document.

It was a requirement that if citations were longer than 3-4 lines they needed to be indented and there were no introductory and concluding inverted commas. Shorter citations could use 'single inverted commas' or they could use "double inverted commas", depending on the institution. Here's a list of Citing and Referencing guides prepared by Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.

If you would like further clarification, please ask your questions of me?

Sincerely,
Dougie

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Anything written for Word 2003 really doesn't take advantage of the referencing tools built into Word 2007 & later...

Ask a Question