Compatibility of PowerPoint 2007 (PC) to PowerPoint 2008 (Mac)

L

Lodi

I have several PowerPoint Presentations created with PowerPoint 2007 and would like to view them using a Mac. Is PowerPoint 2007 for PC compatible with PowerPoint 2008 for Mac?

Also, will there be a PowerPoint 2008 for Mac Viewer available anytime soon if ever?

P

Phil_Brown_[MSFT]

Hello, yes PowerPoint 2008 is compatible with Win PPT 2007. We support opening the new file formats (PPTX, PPSX, PPTM, POTM) as well as previous version file formats (PPT, PPS, POT).

As for the Viewer, there are no current plans to offer a Viewer for Mac PPT 2008. However, we have the Save as Quicktime option, which will export your file as a Quicktime movie (.MOV) which alows you to view it in Quicktime on any machine whether you have PPT installed or not.

Hope this helps,
-Phil

H

Holly Preissner

I just got my new mac today and I've been trying to open a ppt. presentation from a PC and it says that it's in the wrong format. But it is in the POT format..I don't know what to do.

J

Julie

I tried to use Quicktime to play my powerpoint file as suggested, but it didn't work.
For the PC Muicrosoft had a viewer for Power Point that can be downloaded free...when you don't have Power Point. That works great on the PC, but I can't locate it for the Mac.

C

Cory Stewart

Hello, yes PowerPoint 2008 is compatible with Win PPT 2007. We support opening the new file formats (PPTX, PPSX, PPTM, POTM) as well as previous version file formats (PPT, PPS, POT).
As for the Viewer, there are no current plans to offer a Viewer for Mac PPT 2008. However, we have the Save as Quicktime option, which will export your file as a Quicktime movie (.MOV) which alows you to view it in Quicktime on any machine whether you have PPT installed or not.

Hope this helps,
-Phil

So what format do I save under if it's a Mac Powerpoint 08 presentation to get it on to a Windows 07 Powerpoint?

C

CyberTaz

Any of the formats indicated in the first paragraph of the message to which
you responded. 2008's default (.pptx) is also the default for 2007, but all
of them work as Phil spelled out.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question