custom error bars "gone wrong"! Help!

L

lindahuo

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I´m having trouble with my custom value error bars in excel. Just got Macbook so everything is quite new, but office is a well known "buddy".

I have a bar diagram in log scale and want to add error bars. When choosing both (plus and minus) halv the diagram goes black! If I choose just plus, the bars appears, but some of them are askew making contact with error bars of the bar beside!

when choosing minus all the error lines runs to the left crossing the y-axis.

Dont have anything left to try from my heads ideas, and really need help for this!

Linda

M

Mike Middleton

Linda -

I suggest that the first thing you do is choose Excel > About Excel to verify that you are using the latest Excel update: 12.2.3

- Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I´m having trouble with my custom value error bars in excel. Just got Macbook so everything is quite new, but office is a well known "buddy".

I have a bar diagram in log scale and want to add error bars. When choosing both (plus and minus) halv the diagram goes black! If I choose just plus, the bars appears, but some of them are askew making contact with error bars of the bar beside!

when choosing minus all the error lines runs to the left crossing the y-axis.

Dont have anything left to try from my heads ideas, and really need help for this!

Linda

L

lindahuo

Hi Mike, just checked and i have the 12.1.0 version of excel. Tried to update, but no new version came as a result. Is there any other way to get the newest update?

Btw, I´ve managed to fix the positive values, but when inserting negative (operating with the box "both") the error bars of some (approx half) are askew and connect with other bars...

L

lindahuo

Hmm, I updated to the newest version 12.2.3, but still the same problem. The weirdest thing is that one of the graphs worked out nicely with error bars, but the other one still have the same problem with connecting error bars...

C

Carl Witthoft

Hmm, I updated to the newest version 12.2.3, but still the same problem. The
weirdest thing is that one of the graphs worked out nicely with error bars,
but the other one still have the same problem with connecting error bars...

The advice to "update to most recent" was essentially useless, as
updating only helps when there's a known, repeatable bug.

In your case, it's almost certainly a misunderstanding on your part as
to what or how data in cells are mapped to error bar quantities.

Best way to solve would be for you to post your workbook somewhere that
people could download it and identify what went wrong with your graph.
Failing that, post a SMALL but representative set of data, including
the error values, here. In addition, can you please tell us exactly
which setup options you chose when selecting error bars for your chart?

Ask a Question