Edit links command

B

Bdavis

I've got a PP 2007 presentation with a number of linked Excel Charts in it.
SOme of these links have gone bad . When I right-click and select "Edit
Data". I get an errorr that says:"The linked File is Not avaialble. Use the
Edit Links command to find the file"

Where is this command???? I must be blind but I can't find it anywhere.

J

John Wilson

Its in the office button > prepare> and then (scroll down) right at the bottom.

R

Rowan Sylvester-Bradley

I have exactly the same problem. Where is this freaking command?

This is a perfect example of the madness of the ribbon design. Commands that experienced users have been using for years, or even decades for some of us, have suddenly disapeared and can't be found anywhere. Tasks which used to be easy now involve hours of tedious research using Google, posting messages on bulletin boards etc. Even more annoying, when you eventually find it, the same old command is there somewhere, just diguised and hidden. Is this what Microsoft intended when they introduced the ribbon?

It's all made worse by the serious deterioration of help facilities. In the olden days, you used to be able to search a local help file for topics mentioning a selection of words, see a list of topics, open them one by one until you find what you are looking for. Now, if I search Powerpoint help for Edit Links (a) I get a load of help for the whole of Office, most of which is irrelevant to me, (b) it goes off to the web somewhere to look for this data, so everything is so much slower, (c) there's no usable search facility. Either MS are intentionally trying to annoy their existing users, or they have no idea of the effect the changes they make to their software is going to have on users.

<rant mode off>

If you know how to edit links to external Excel files in Powerpoint 2007, please share this information...

Many thanks - Rowan

J

Jurgen Emanuels

Hy Rowan,

I don't know if you have find a solution for your problem already. I manage to add a object in PPT.

Ribbon: Insert->Text->Object

Select create new.
From the Object type choose: Microsoft Office Excel Chart
Click OK.

This will add an excel char to your slide. You can edit it and change the data or even add another sheet to the excel object.

I hope this can solved your problem.

Regards,
Jurgen

Ask a Question