'Errors found in PST file' is starting to worry me.

F

frankieplus

Here's the story..

I read about scanpst on her a few months back and thought I'd check my pst file for errors. This is the first time I've done this and did find some errors. Repaired them and all was good.

Don't know why but I thought I'd check the PST file again a few days later and there were errors again. Repaired ok.

I started to minitor the PST file for errors because I wanted to know what was going on, so I started scanning it maybe twice a day.

My usage is as follows: About 10-20 emails per day, I delete about 10 junk emails per day, I post about 5 emails per day.

Lots of calendar work adding and deleting events, adding, editing notes on the calendar and contacts, creating appointements, etc..

I discovered that my PST file would get errors possibly every 4-5 days. I think that this happens when I create/delete folders / Make changes to the folder structure, but I can't be too sure.

Question: If Scanpst seems to fix the errors, does this mean all is ok?

Why am I getting errors anyway? There is no evidence of anything being wrong with my HD.

3rd Party software accessig the PST file is a virus scanner which I just dissabled as a test. A disk Defragger which I dissabled and re enabled cause it wasn't the cause.

I'm worried that some information is maybe being deleted that I won't know about until months later when the backups are too old.

I back up daily and weekly.

Is there any positive way to make sure that my data isn't being lost? Backups seem ok for now but won't be of any use a year down the track. I do need my data for 5 years at least.

Any help appreciated..

-frankie

P

Pat Willener

How many errors do you get in one scanpst run?

Do you close Outlook before you shut down Windows? If so, are you sure
that Outlook is completely closed (check with Task Manager).

P.S. I always make a backup of my PST file before I run scanpst (about
once in a year; yes - it always finds a few errors and corrects them).

F

frankieplus

I never really took notice of how many errors. It usually fixes them within a few seconds though, if that is any consolation.

In regards to closing, no I'm not sure if Outlook is closed and this isn't something I even considered to be honest.

I normally restart the computer (Running Vista) and always assumed that this in itself would make sure that Outlook is properly closed. Isn't this the case?

How should I properly restart or shutdown the PC? I always open Outlook for last minute email checks then close it before I do a shutdown.

I find myself opening and closing Outlook all day long to check for emails. I don't normally just leave it open and because my main video editing application is weird, I find myself restarting the computer at least twice per day to refresh everything.

Am I shedding any light on the problem maybe?

-Frankie

How many errors do you get in one scanpst run?

D

DL

It should'nt be neccessary to restart a PC twice daily, whatever 'refresh'
means
If your vid editing app is 'wierd' it might tend to suggest the problem lies
there
When you close OL, you should wait awhile before shutting down or restaring
the PC

P

Pat Willener

I think it's worth investigating if your Outlook closes completely when
you shut it down. Use Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the Task Manager, then check
the Processes tab if Outlook is still there.

Shutting down Windows will of course close Outlook completely, but not
necessarily gracefully - meaning that the PST file may not get closed
properly, which of course can lead to errors.

J

Jackson

Properly close your outlook pst before you turn off your computer.
Check in the task manager weather your outlook.exe is running or not before shut down. If it is running close it.Some times due to improper shutdown your pst files get corrupted.May be due to virus your file get corrupted again and again. If your pst badly corrupted may be affecting the other file also. You can aslo try some good pst repair software like
http://www.repair-outlook-pst.com/

Ask a Question