Excel Keyboard Lockup

J

jettajack

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I've seen several other posts similar to my problem, but they were all getting filled up with other non-topic posts and wanted to get right to the issue I'm having and hopefully provide a place for others with the same issue I'm having so please excuse me if this is a repeat.

I'm running Excel 2004 on a MacBook Pro - first model - with Leopard installed as a clean install. I use several different spreadsheets for bidding and tracking purposes - most not more than a few pages - and no super-large or complicated formulas. Every so often, sometimes every cell, sometimes every few minutes, the keyboard refuses to accept entry. I use a bluetooth apple keyboard, but it also happens when I use the built-in keyboard. I have to move my mouse curser to another program - usually the finder - click, and then click back into or command-tab back into excel. I'm then able to enter the information and sometimes continue, sometimes click back out again. This is extremely annoying and time-consuming for someone entering a lot of data.

In addition to the above problem - and possibly unrelated - occasionally (once per day to once per week), when I'm working in excel it locks up momentarily and then logs me out.

Any help on these issues would be appreciated. Again, I'm sorry this is duplicating some things, but the previous posts seem to go nowhere and are getting off-topic.

P

Pat McMillan

We (Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit) have investigated the keyboard
input issue and believe it's a Leopard Rosetta bug. We've posted a bug with
Apple and have provided a lot of information on the bug (mostly provided by
visitors to this forum). Unfortunately, to find out more about the state of
this issue, you will need to contact Apple.

I'm not sure if the second issue you're reporting is the same or different.
When you say Excel "logs you out", do you mean it quits? Does Excel actually
crash?

Thanks,

Pat

G

I'm having the same keyboard problem as jettajack. Not the log-out problem, but the keyboard constantly freezing up in Excel. I'm using Excel 2004, MacBook Pro, and an Apple bluetooth keyboard. The delete and arrow keys still work, but I can't enter characters. Clicking in another application frees it up, but it soon locks again.

P

Pat McMillan

Thanks. Per my previous post in this thread, please report this to Apple
since it appears to be their issue.

Thanks,

Pat

Ask a Question