Excel Saving Issues

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to search high and low for a solution and I don't seem to be getting anywhere fast! I am not sure if this is a network issue or a MS Office issue.

Setup:
iMac with OS X El Capitan
Netgear Nighthawk D7000
Synology DS715
Microsoft Office Mac 2011
(All are currently running the latest firmware versions)

Issue:
When saving excel files (mainly excel files that have links to other excel files) that are already saved on the NAS will result in the following error;
"Your changes could not be saved to 'File Name.xlx', but were saved to a temporary document named 'XXXXXXXX'. Close the existing document, then open the temporary document and save it under a new name."
You are then not able to "Save" or "Save As" and given the error "Document not saved." if I attempt. I am then left with a file about 8 characters long consisting of random letters and numbers. Because these files are linked to other excel files it will then need to be manually renamed to the original name in order for the links to work.

Does anyone have any ideas what would be causing this and how it could be fixed?

N.B. this happens if connected via ethernet or via wifi.

Reaction score
Sounds like you don't have Delete or Modify rights set up in that folder on the network drive. To do this, right click on the network folder, select Properties and then view the Securities tab.

Hope this helps!

Ask a Question