huge file size after removing audio

M

mark_howard

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I removed an audio file from a presentation and ran a 'save as'. The file size remained unchanged (ie 35Mb). It should be about 200k. So, although the audio file is not accessible or its attributes editable from any Powerpoint menu, the presentation remains bloated. It must be remembering the audio file somewhere. How can I delete it permanently?

M

mark_howard

Just found the solution: go to Slide Show>set up show pane. Under 'show options', check the 'Show without narration' checkbox.

How unintuitive was that!?

M

mark_howard

Sorry, I was wrong, it did NOT remove the audio file or reduce the file size: I was looking at the wrong file. So this problem is not solved...

S

Steve Rindsberg

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I removed an audio file from a presentation and ran a 'save as'. The file size remained unchanged (ie 35Mb). It should be about 200k. So, although the audio file is not accessible or its attributes editable from any Powerpoint menu, the presentation remains bloated. It must be remembering the audio file somewhere. How can I delete it permanently?

Try a File, Save As and give the file a new name (ie, force PPT to save a to a new file)

M

mark_howard

That was the first thing I tried, and it didn't work. I also tried copying individual slides and pasting into a new 'blank' presentation and saving with a new name. That also did not work. The audio is somehow embedded, but invisible.

S

Steve Rindsberg

That was the first thing I tried, and it didn't work. I also tried copying individual slides and pasting into a new 'blank' presentation and saving with a new name. That also did not work. The audio is somehow embedded, but invisible.

Another dodge:

Save as HTML (regular HTML, not single-file/MHT)

Quit PPT

Open the folder of support files that creates, look for a jumbo audio file and delete it.

Restart PPT, use File, Open to open the HTML file you just saved, then resave as a PPT.

Ask a Question