I have issues.. Word 2007 returns to top

Reaction score
Yes, I freely admit, I have issues.. maybe one of the experts here can help!

The issue: Word keeps returning to the top of the document even after navigating to different areas. For example, when I click on a section topic in the navigation bar it "flashes" that page and then promptly returns to the top of the document. In addition, all of the formatting buttons are greyed out.

Technical jazz: We're using MSWord 2007, SP2, full version (it's not a trial). This is the only document that has this problem.

Background: I have a fairly large book (128,000 words/425 pages) that we've been working on in order to document the history of a town in Oklahoma. Last week, we inserted all of the photographs and began revising the captions. Earlier today, I moved a photo and then created a caption box. While the box was still up, I switched to Notepad to copy the text there. The problem began when I switched back to Word.

I have tried saving this in different formats and I have tried the open and repair option. So far, nothing has worked. I do have backups, but since we only backup once a week it's possible that I may have lost a weeks work here. Unfortunately, we're pressed for time, so this loss will create a lot of issues.

Is there a way to correct this problem?

I would appreciate any help you can give!

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Your document may have some corruption. A fairly easy fix in most cases is to go to the very end of the document (eg Ctrl-End), press Enter, then copy everything except the new last paragraph and paste it into a new document, which you can then save over the old one.

Reaction score
Macropod, Thanks for the reply..

I wish this was a "most cases" scenario, but when I try to go to the end it jumps back to the top. I've tried to copy it in almost every way I know how, but so far nothing works.

However, I did have some luck in opening the document in OpenOffice. Once that program converted it then I was able to copy the text that way, however, all of the formatting that's been done has been lost - which is one of the biggest things that I was worried about. I think I'll be able to get by with that since I do have older backups. Still, there's been a lot of work done since the last backup, which is what my main concern is.

Thanks for your help!

Now, I believe that word "thinks" that I'm still trying to add a caption and is stuck in that script. Is it possible to end all scripts that Word may be running?

Reaction score
I think I've figured it out..

I didn't want to leave this thread open, and I figure if something similar happens to others they may want to know how I corrected the problem.

Since this was caused while trying to add a caption, I figured that it was something to do with the scripts that Word uses to do those types of functions. So, I saved a backup copy and then went to "Protect Document" and selected "Restrict Formatting and Editing". I went to the settings link and deselected the "captions" option. A box popped up that asked if I wanted to remove the formatting. I said yes and let it do it's thing. Once it was done, then I clicked the Undo button. Now I'm able to edit again.

It's kind of a long way of going about things, but so far it looks like it worked. I would bet that the same thing could be done for other problems that arise! It just took some tinkering with things, but all's well that ends well.

Ask a Question