iCal sync does not work in Entourage 2008

Z

zeilenisleuk

I have purchased pocketmac and it is possible to switch between ical and entourage through synchronise sync. So far so good. I didn't succeeded to synchronize calendars so that they only take changes from one another. Now is the stacking of information on each other. If you are not careful, you are 10 times a day birthday. O Who knows whom to curbing?

B

Blake Harris

Syncing was working great for me with Office 2004. 2008 is a trainwreck. I've completely deleted and re-imported my contacts several times, and for whatever reason, Entourage duplicates each contact over a period of time. I have 12 duplicates per person.

A new problem I encountered this weekend: Calendar entries disappear, which as you can imagine, completely defeats the purpose of using a calendar. I am really frustrated that I paid for an upgrade that is essentially a step backwards.

I

Ira Okun

For years I hot synced Entourage with my Palm Zire. It worked perfectly I upgraded to office 2008 , only to learn that Entourage 08 no longer sync with Palm.It is small comfort to know that this problem also belong to BB and I sync.

Any suggestions will be appreciated :frown:

S

stixster

1. I used to be able to sync to my Blackberry (8700c) just fine with Entourage 2004, but upgrading to 2008 seems to have broken it. I'm now getting this error message:
"Could not lcoate [sic] the Microsoft Entourage Office Synchronization Tool."

Grr....I just called Microsoft support and was told that Entourage doesn't support the Blackberry. I know that's technically true, but what a great way to lock out a huge swath of potential users.

2. I can't get my Entourage to sync with Address Book/iCal/Notes. Colleagues have followed the same procedure (enabling the Sync Services in Address Book) just fine and it works for them. Nothing happens when I do it except that in iCal an Entourage calendar is created...but no data is passed to it. (I can look in the Console and see that absolutely nothing is happening.)

Help!

The ONLY way I have found of syncing my BB with Entourage is to use Mark Space's Missing Sync software -it work s a treat.

S

stixster

Help I just found out I have the same problem with my Blackberry. I am leaving town tomorrow and tried to sync using PocketMac and it will not sync. I cannot found Office 2004 so I can get my calendar before I go. Bummer

The ONLY way I have found of syncing my BB with Entourage is to use Mark Space's Missing Sync software -it work s a treat.

K

Kerry

I'm using Markpace's Missing Sync with the Blackberry Curve and it
works like a charm plus it is faster than the version I have for the
Palm.

J

John Owens

This is the reason why we will all eventually move over to Linux and the Open Source community.

Companies like Apple and Microsoft use their popular applications and OSs to undermine the other's products and OSs.

It's not hard to write a calendar application and to adhere to a standard (defined by the OS maker) for one so that applications can talk to each other.

G

Guillermo Garza

For years I hot synced Entourage with my Palm Zire. It worked perfectly I upgraded to office 2008 , only to learn that Entourage 08 no longer sync with Palm.It is small comfort to know that this problem also belong to BB and I sync.
Any suggestions will be appreciated :frown:

I've experienced the same as you did and the workaround was to turn back on the Sync Services for Entourage 2004.
My scenario ended up with:
1. Entourage 2004 and Entourage 2008 with Sync Services on, so both show the same info as the OS Address Book and iCal
2. The Entourage Conduit within HotSync takes care of get the info replicated to my Treo

Entourage 2008 <-SS-> iCal, AB <-SS->Entourage 2004 <-EC-> Palm
SS: SyncServices
AB: Mac OS Address Book
EC: Entourage Conduit for HotSync

I Hope you find this useful

E

Electroscribe

I wound up ultimately removing Entourage 2008 from my desktop iMac (the one I use to connect to my Palm Pilot) because I got tired of both its Database Daemon and Entourage 2004's Database Daemon loading at startup. Too bad, because I liked 2008 much better than 2004.

Whenever Microsoft bothers to develop its own conduit (it did so for Entourage X and Entourage 2004 after a year or so), I will put Office 2008 back on my iMac. Meanwhile, I use it on my MacBookPro.

T

Thomas BLum

I just wasted five hours getting Entourage 2008 to sync with my Palm. Finally just went back to Entourage 2004 -- which works fine. Instead of making the product better, they made it worse.

MAC USERS SHOULD NOT PURCHASE OFFICE 2008 UNTIL MICROSOFT REINSTALLS THE CONDUIT MANAGER.

J

Jenni Palmer

Looking for the answer to a well-documented problem:

I'm a new Mac convert, running Leopard on my Air and I bought Office 2008
with it. Like you, I can't sync through to my Palm (Treo 650). I've been
on the boards and know that the Palm conduit in Entourage 2004 was removed
in E2008. Do you happen to know if (and where if yes) I could buy E2004 and
would that allow me to sync w/ the phone?

D

Diane Ross

Thomas BLum said:
MAC USERS SHOULD NOT PURCHASE OFFICE 2008 UNTIL MICROSOFT REINSTALLS THE
CONDUIT MANAGER.

First, please keep in mind that these newsgroups are peer-to-peer. There
isn't much we can do. The best way is to send any feedback to Microsoft .

When working in Office, you can use the ³Send Feedback² option under the
Help menu in all of the Office applications.

E

Electroscribe

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz 2 Gigs RAM

Microsoft's answer is "Use Apple sync service."

Apple sync service DOES NOT WORK in Leopard and Apple seems to care less about it than Microsoft.

So I, too am back to Entourage 2004 on the Mac I use to sync my Palm Pilot. It is a tragedy, because appointments made in Entourage 2004 don't always work if I invite someone using Outlook 2007 for Windows to attend; while appointments in Entourage 2008 do work. I would much rather use it.

I cannot recommend Office 2008 to anyone who needs to sync to a PDA, much as I like Entourage 2008 better than 2004.

Please, Microsoft, fix it!!! If you have to, partner up with MarkSpace software, publishers of the Missing Sync. It works! Except with Entourage 2008.

E

Electroscribe

Your point is well taken. To offer product feedback to Microsoft said:
First, please keep in mind that these newsgroups are peer-to-peer. There
isn't much we can do. The best way is to send any feedback to Microsoft .

When working in Office, you can use the �Send Feedback� option under the
Help menu in all of the Office applications.

J

Jenni Palmer

Thank you for the heads-up. I may have to switch my Entourage back to 2004.
Would it be possible to use Entourage 2004 with Word/Excel 2008, or is it
one package or the other entirely? (Please forgive any dumb questions).

I am currently trying to use a third-party app to bridge the sync gap
(Missing Sync), but nothing on my phone is changing...anybody have any
further info on how to make this set up work? Or if I can make this set up
work?

D

Diane Ross

Jenni Palmer said:
Thank you for the heads-up. I may have to switch my Entourage back to 2004.
Would it be possible to use Entourage 2004 with Word/Excel 2008, or is it
one package or the other entirely? (Please forgive any dumb questions).

You can use both versions of all applications at the same time. SP1 allowed
for Entourage to be used at the same time as well. Previously, Entourage was
excluded simultaneously.They will not share the same database/Identity
though.
I am currently trying to use a third-party app to bridge the sync gap
(Missing Sync), but nothing on my phone is changing...anybody have any
further info on how to make this set up work? Or if I can make this set up
work?

Read thESE pages to help understand how Sync Services works. To help with
specific phones, you need to indicate which phone.

BASICS OF HOW SYNC SERVICES WORKS

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/syncservices/basics.html>

Troubleshoot Sync Services

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/troubleshoot/syncservices.html>

D

Diane Ross

I'm having the same problem... thank you for helping us.

You have added a "me too" to a thread that was started in February and now
has over 70 messages. You gave us no info on your setup or exactly what you
have tried. Did you want help or just add a "me too?"

Please start a new thread so you can get proper help.

When asking a question please include which machine you're running and which
version of OS X, as certain answers will vary between different Macs and
Tiger vs. Leopard, etc. We also need to know what version of Entourage you
are using including any updates.

Right now my only suggestion is to be sure you have updated to SP1 12.1.0
(this is not the same as 12.0.1.)

J

Jmarz

Help I just found out I have the same problem with my Blackberry. I am leaving town tomorrow and tried to sync using PocketMac and it will not sync. I cannot found Office 2004 so I can get my calendar before I go. Bummer

I recently purchased Office:mac2008 and have been looking for a smartphone/pda which will sync with Entourage. I saw the posts about Blackberry successfully working by using Missing Sync; what other smartphones/pda have people found success with? Is anyone syncing with a Windows Mobile device, please? I have Verizon Wireless service which limits my device options a bit.

Ask a Question