Lack of Interactive Print Preview

M

mtpaper

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

I think it's the lack of an Interactive PRINT PREVIEW that has me stumbling around, more than the lack of View->Page Break Preview.

I understand that the folks at Microsoft figured that users could use the Preview function from within the OS. But it's not the same - Excel's Print Preview was Interactive and wonderful - I would expect it to IMPROVE on the Mac, not regress.

If I un-install Office 2008, and install Office 2004, under Leopard, will I have interactive Print Preview?

Thank you for your cooperation -
Marion in NY who is stressed beyond belief

M

mtpaper

PS - I want to add that the lack of Print Preview is more exasperating to me because I do not see any dotted line page breaks with View->Normal or View->Page Layout.

yes, I have the preferences set to show them.

However, as my files were created with Excel for Windows, the dotted lines do not show on any of my files.

For all intents and purposes, I feel blind and handicapped. I can see the end result via Preview, but I have to go back and forth for any adjustment to see the affect.

Even with newly created documents, I don't understand the purpose of View-PageLayout... since it doesn't take the Print Area into account. What is the purpose of Viewing the Page Layout if it includes rows and columns that are not part of my Print Area?

Now, if View->PageLayout could be set to show the designated Print Area - that would be a GREAT SOLUTION... Because I'd be able to change my margins, add headers, and know exactly how my printed pages would look.

C

CyberTaz

Hello -

As to your first post: You can install 2004 without removing 2008, and 2004
does provide the "conventional" Print Preview.

The dotted lines don't appear in any Excel file until you preview or print
since page breaks are imposed by the printer, so I would expect that opening
the fie on a different system with a different printer/driver the previously
imposed breaks would be ignored. Once you preview or go into the print
dialog on the Mac the dotted lines will appear.

I agree that it takes a little getting used to since it is certainly
different from what we've been accustomed to, but I think you might be
missing a few things:) For example, if you have the rulers displayed (View>
Ruler) you can adjust your margins as well as column widths & row heights in
Page Layout view. Additionally you can make any other editing changes to
content or formatting without having to switch back & forth between Normal &
Print Preview. You also have immediate access to Headers & Footers.

Now that I've gotten used to it I find it to be far more efficient than the
former UI.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

M

mtpaper

Hi Bob. Ok - it's a new day. Let me try what you're suggesting with an open-mind.

I'm opening a file - it was originally created via Windows. Yesterday I opened it, specified to get rid of macros, and resaved it with a new name.

I have done File->Print->Preview
I have done File->SetPrintArea
I have done File->Print
I have done FIle->PageSetup - and changed a top Margin
I have cleared my Print Area and re-assigned it.

Dotted Lines Do Not Appear.

I think the Rulers have FABULOUS potential. But I'm still working blind, since I don't have any connection between my designated Print Area and the View->PageLayout

OK. Now I tried to set a print area on a worksheet page (in the same workbook) which I had never need to print. I get dotted lines, so I'm in business - altho I can't figure out how I'm supposed to wrap my eyes around the idea that the view includes data and columns that are outside the dotted line... I'll probably have to get in the habit of hiding those rows/columns. (Suggestion still stands: PageLayout should only include designed PrintArea)

But this is only working on pages which have never been printed. How do I get a clean slate on pages that I have printed, so the dotted lines will appear?

[And, from the simple work that I've done as described, Excel crashed, complaining of lack of memory.]

C

CyberTaz

Hi Ya! -

I think one thing that may have escaped your attention is that the setting
to Show Page Breaks is a *per sheet* preference, not a Workbook or Global
Preference. Could that be what's clouding the issue a bit?

Also, did you realize that the page break lines can be dragged in the same
fashion as what you're accustomed to in the old Page Break Preview while in
either Normal or Page Layout view ?

Another "hidden" control is that if you click the diamond (<>) at the upper
left corner of the sheet (or Command+A) the Insert Menu will contain a Reset
All Page Breaks command separate from the File> Print Area> Clear Print Area
command. You may find that helpful, too.

It definitely takes some effort to get comfortable with, but it may grow on
you faster than you think:)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question