margins

S

slgenest

first, can you tell me how to see what version of word i have so that can help you in answering my question? thanks i have some version of the office package.
my question is about my margins. i have set them to 1" all the way around and have added a header that states my last name and pg. # in the upper right hand corner. the header is correct, at .5" from the top of the page. but then theres about an inch under that until my actual paper starts. so in actuality it looks like my top margin is about 2". its really frustrating cuz when i go to format document it states that the margin is at 1" but its really much more than that! when i view header/footer and the dotted line box pops up around the header, i notice that that box looks unusually large. i tried to make it smaller using the ruler on the side but it didnt work. wont budge. i hope this is clear. my paper set up is 8.5x11 standard paper. thanks for your help

D

Daiya Mitchell

Hi--

Under the Word menu, you'll see About Word. Select that. It will show
the main version (2008, 2004, X, whatever) and also the exact version
(12.0.0, 11.3.9), which shows which updates you have applied. Thanks for
asking!

There is some extra stuff in the header somehow, enlarging the header
box, which pushes the rest of the text out of the way, regardless of
margins. A couple possibilities:

Hit ¶ on the standard toolbar--it will show if there are extra paragraph
marks in the header--they show as ¶. Delete them if so.

If that doesn't work, then select the stuff in the header and go to
Format | Paragraph. Make sure the text in the header is single-spaced
and check the Spacing After and Before. A big Space After setting could
make the text in the header take up extra space.

Ask a Question