Misplaced file - search for text in a Word file

L

LondonChris

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I think this one is simple. My spouse created a file on our Mac using Word 2004 at home, saved it, and now cannot find the file (our kids constantly log in and out of various Mac accounts, so we're not sure where it was saved - either what directory or in which account). I'm on a business trip, so can't sit in front of the computer and find it for my spouse.

I believe there's a feature in Word where one can type a key word that appears in the document, and the computer will search through the contents of all the files on the disk (all the files in a given user's account in our case) and present all files that contain that key word.

In Word 2004 where is that feature, and what is it called (what words appear on the menu or in a dialog box that my spouse must find)?

As I am traveling with a PC, I can't remember exactly where it is in Word 2004 for the Mac or exactly what it's called so that I can talk them through it.

Many thanks for the help.

M

Michel Bintener

Hi Chris,

it is not a feature of Word 2004, but of Mac OS X (10.4 or later), called
Spotlight. It can be found in the upper right corner of the screen: it is a
tiny magnifying glass icon on the very right side of the menu bar.

Ask a Question