Office for Mac Activation

K

kashimc

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Hello,

I have recently bought a MacBook pro and ordered MS Office 2008 through microsoft's home use program as I work for the NHS. I believe the software download came from Digital River.

During the install, the product key is required and this is successfully entered and therefore installation is sucessful.

However, upon start up of any of the office applications, the activation screen appears and unfortunately the very same product key now fails activation.

I believe that this issue was raised by someone else on this forum but the thread is now closed and there doesn't appear to be a resolution on there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kashim

W

William Smith [MVP]

I have recently bought a MacBook pro and ordered MS Office 2008
through microsoft's home use program as I work for the NHS. I believe
the software download came from Digital River.

During the install, the product key is required and this is
successfully entered and therefore installation is sucessful.

However, upon start up of any of the office applications, the
activation screen appears and unfortunately the very same product key
now fails activation.

I believe that this issue was raised by someone else on this forum
but the thread is now closed and there doesn't appear to be a
resolution on there.

You'll need to contact Digital River for support with products purchased
through them. They can help you with replacement keys.

Hope this helps!

--

bill

Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>
YouTalk <http://nine.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/youtalk>
Twitter: follow <http://twitter.com/meck>

K

kashimc

Thanks Bill.

Unfortunately, the response from Digital River didn't offer much help.
The first response consisted of:
1. Please download Office for Mac using the following link... (the same as the original download)
2. Install it by double clicking on the downloaded file.
3. Enter the product code to activate.

i.e. the original instructions.

Anyway, i responded (politely, as difficult as that was) that it was the activation that was problem.

The response to that was that digital river "is not equipped to offer technical advice".
Then asked me to go to

<http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx>

for guidance.

However, following through to get to the correct product got me to this page:

<https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=505&gprid=12853&&st=1>

which lists the support pages for the office for mac products - however all the links are broken!!

I'm not sure if this is a Microsoft problem (not activating a valid product key) or a digital river problem (not providing a valid product key) but it seems that neither are available/willing to help.

Anyone?

W

William Smith [MVP]

D

Diane Ross

Unfortunately, the response from Digital River didn't offer much help.

If you want to use some muscle with them, tell them it will be blogged on
the Entourage Help Blog not to use Digital River because of problems. You
are not the first person that has trouble with them. It's inexcusable
behavior.

M

Marshall_Nam

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the activation window. We'll be working with Digital River to get better customer support responses in the future. The activation window is trickier than the Office 2008 installer.

Taking the following steps will often solve the majority of activation issues.
1. Make sure the product key is entered in ALL CAPS. (the installer forces all caps, the activation window does not).
2. Make sure you type the dashes in the product key when entering it (the installer adds the dashes, the activation window does not).
3. Make sure there are no spaces to the right or left of the product key (the installer removes spaces, the activation window does not).
4. Make sure you are entering the product key (25 alphanumeric characters) and not the product id (a series of numbers).

I hope this helps, and please be sure to post back here with your results. Thanks!

Best,
Marshall

K

kashimc

Hi all, just an update. At the end of last week I was provided a new download link.
Although the name of the file and bytecount was identicle I performed a full uninstall, reboot, and a new installation hoping that my problem would be resolved.

Unfortunately, it wasn't!

I've reported back once again, requesting a manual activation code for the product. This is an option that is available through the software - not sure whether it's viable.

The response I received was
"...we must investigate further before you can attempt to place your order again. You will receive an email from our customer support team within 72 hours with further instructions."

It's coming upto 72 hours now but I have yet to hear anything. I'm hoping that what ever they choose to do next will finally resolve this issue so that I can get on with some work!!!

D

Diane Ross

You are talking to your peers here. We have no connection to the online
downloads. I suggest never buying a download install like Office again. Get
the DVD.

K

kashimc

Hi all,

Thanks for your interest, help and guidance. After a long winded process of emails back and forth (generally taking longer than the time stated to get back to me) I have finally resolved my activation issue.

For interest, I was initially requested to perform the following actions:

1. Ensure all Microsoft Office applications are quit
2. Click on the Go menu in Finder
3. Choose Applications
4. Open the Microsoft Office 2008 folder
5. Open the Office folder
6. Move the OfficePID.plist to the trash
7. Click on the Go menu
8. Choose Home
9. Open the Library folder
10. Open the Preferences folder
11. Click on the Microsoft folder
12. Click on the Office 2008 folder
13. Move the Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist to the trash
14. Check your trash to ensure that there is nothing that you wish to
preserve
15. Empty the trash
16. Hold the Control and Option keys down
17. While holding Control and Option, click on one of the Office
application icons to launch them
18. The Activation window for Digital River should launch at this time
19. Enter the correct Product Key and go through the Activation

This still did not resolve the problem. I followed this up with a complete reinstall of office, and followed the instructions again to to avail.

I pushed Digital River again for the manual activation code, which they finally provided to me.

This was accepted first time, with no problems. I'm not sure if this is just my own paranoia but I had made repeated requests for the manual activation code - but this was never given until now.

Anyway, thanks once again for everyone's support. hopefully this will help someone again in the future.

Kash.

D

Diane Ross

Anyway, thanks once again for everyone's support. hopefully this will help
someone again in the future.

Thanks for sharing your info. I'm sure other users will benefit.

Ask a Question