Org chart -- boxes

V

ValerieM

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

I am creating a very simple org chart, using "Dark 1" color and "Cartoon" style. I want one of the boxes to have a dotted line around it, but for some reason this will not work. Does anyone know why?

Also, there does not seem to be a way (unlike the old Powerpoint) to have subordinates in a "list" format as opposed to boxes. Does anyone know how to do this?

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

I am creating a very simple org chart, using "Dark 1" color and "Cartoon" style. I want one of the boxes to have a dotted line around it, but for some reason this will not work. Does anyone know why?

Also, there does not seem to be a way (unlike the old Powerpoint) to have subordinates in a "list" format as opposed to boxes. Does anyone know how to do this?

Hi Valerie,

Just so you know, you can still use the old-style org charts by using
Insert > Object and choosing Microsoft Organization Chart.

I think you have discovered a bug in PowerPoint. I was able to format
the organization chart exactly as you described. Thank you for the
precise description.

When I use the format controls on the line from the Format Shape dialog,
I am allowed to change the line to dashed. However, PowerPoint seems to
ignore the setting. Likewise, on the formatting palette I can make the
line a double-line, but even though I choose a dotted line, it remains
solid.

I'm not sure what you mean by having subordinates in a list. How did you
make those in old Org Chart?

Thanks.

-Jim

V

ValerieM

Hi: Thanks for your speedy reply. I guess I'm sort of pleased that it's a bug and not just me being stupid. I assume this will be fixed in due course.

And thanks for letting me know about using the old style org charts -- although I really do prefer the new ones if I could get them to work.

Regarding subordinates in a list, it's what you get when you pick (from the old org charts) "stacked groups - no boxes" or even "boxed groups". These two features are extremely helpful when you have a very large org chart and are going down quite a few levels. You can get a lot more people in, using a font size that is readable, than you can if you have to put a box around each name. Is this feature possible?

C

CyberTaz

Have you looked at the choices in the Element Gallery's List grouping?

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Hi: Thanks for your speedy reply. I guess I'm sort of pleased that it's a bug and not just me being stupid. I assume this will be fixed in due course.

And thanks for letting me know about using the old style org charts -- although I really do prefer the new ones if I could get them to work.

Regarding subordinates in a list, it's what you get when you pick (from the old org charts) "stacked groups - no boxes" or even "boxed groups". These two features are extremely helpful when you have a very large org chart and are going down quite a few levels. You can get a lot more people in, using a font size that is readable, than you can if you have to put a box around each name. Is this feature possible?

Hi Valerie,

I don't see those options in the new organization chart feature.

-Jim

Ask a Question