Picture from Mac not Displaying in PowerPoint on a PC

J

J Peter Donnelly

Had this problem since the switch to MAC Office 2004 with all versions of Office including 2007. My work around is to save the offending slide as a JPEG and then insert it over the original. However it loses quality and is a monumental pain to boot. The problem is particularly acute when I GRAB an image from a PDF (I am a scientist and regularly show figures from the original articles) . Windows is totally blind to this whether I paste it directly or save it to disk and INSERT it from FILE within Powerpoint. I view this as a an obstacle left by Microsoft to irritate us - nothing more and nothing less. Seems I from the discussion I will just have to keep on doing this until I consign OFFICE to the dustbin as soon as Keynote runs on a Windows PC :eyeroll:

B

bdaul

Every company has it's unique problems...Apple in the world of computing is a cosmetics company. Isn't a leader in new computing technology...just stuff that looks nice...on the other hand Microsoft produces a lot of crapware...sometimes you can even smell it. When you think the world revolves around you there is a tendency to treat your customer like crap.

C

CyberTaz

<snip>
Isn't a leader in new computing technology...
<snip>

Are you kidding??? Where do you find any support for such a statement?

Most of the technological improvements you see on PCs was developed &
standardized on the Mac first - and many of them still aren't there or have
to be 'added on'. PCs didn't even know what a mouse, hi-res graphics or GUI
were until several years after the Mac introduced them. Not to even try
listing everything, but just a very few other items of more recent vintage:

Support for 8 GB RAM
PCI
PCMCIA
USB
Firewire
SATA
eSATA
Bluetooth
....and, oh, what about the Macbook Air?

Just 'cause it's pretty doesn't mean there isn't a beast within - do you
also believe there's no such thing as a beautiful blonde with brains?:)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

K

kraves

I am getting a message from a couple of slided in my PowerPoint presentation
that I created on my Mac and am trying to run on a PC that say:

QuickTime and a
TIFF(LZW) decompressor
are needed to see this picture.

What is this and how do I fix this?

This is a classic problem, reading the replies here (except those that decided to drift off topic) many came up with solutions.

I work conferences where I can see dozens of presentations come through each day. Thus I'm always keen to have a quick solution so I can move onto the next presenter.

Yes you can ...

1. Export the offending slides as jpg (loses any animations of course). Important to set the output resolution to 1024x768 or better. Bit annoying and time consuming.

2. Save as picture, export, photoshop and all variations mentioned here. Then reinsert - size - animate as per original.

3. Easiest and quickest.
Use the photo edit tools in Mac Powerpoint. Click on the scratch tool then draw a small line on a solid part of the image (usually a white area is good). powerpoint converts the image to a 'normal' picture format when it fixes the scratch.

Using the third technique I can very quickly get a presentation going again. It helps to have a PC and mac side-by-side to quickly find the ofending pictures. Does sometimes adjust brightness/contrast a little, or if you pick an area with a mark in it and can mess things up. Just undo and pick a new spot. You only need to draw a short line.

This is the quickest way I know, particularly when you have a presenter over your shoulder. The conferences I work are always PC based (just too expensive to provide mac and pc in each room along with additional av switch gear) so we regularly convert mac to pc with little worries at all these days.

kraves.

C

c fryer

&gt; I am getting a message from a couple of slided in my PowerPoint presentation
&gt; that I created on my Mac and am trying to run on a PC that say:
&gt;
&gt; QuickTime and a
&gt; TIFF(LZW) decompressor
&gt; are needed to see this picture.
&gt;
&gt; What is this and how do I fix this?
I recently have had problems with some pictures (not all) in my Powerpoint not showing up when run on a PC. I always Insert Pictures from a file, so that is not the issue.
My question is - when inserting a picture, there is a choice to 1) link or 2) save with the document. Both options can be checked. What are the differences between the choices and does that impact whether the picture is seen on a PC? Thanks, :eyeroll:

B

Bone

Kraves - My daughter has a powerpoint project she needs to redo because of the photo problem. I tried to figure out the "scratch" technique, but wasn't able to find the photo edit tools you spoke of. Can you give me a few more details? Thanks!

K

kraves

Bone:
Sure, the "remove scratch" button is on the Picture toolbar.
View Menu -> Toolbars -> Picture

If you make the scratch line too short with your mouse it won't do anything.
A little progress bar appears saying removing scratch when you've got it right.

Kyle.

P

Paul_Acevedo

I run into this all the time.

What I do is select and cut the offending image (on the Mac), and choose paste special and put it back into the doc as a PDF (picutre might also work - I have not tried it yet.).

Now that I've figured this out, when I am creating new docs and if I am copying and pasting images from other docs (or screen captures), my workflow is as follows: Copy > Paste> Cut> Paste Special. That seems to do the trick for me.

Cheers.

S

Steve Rindsberg

I recently have had problems with some pictures (not all) in my Powerpoint
not showing up when run on a PC. I always Insert Pictures from a file, so that
is not the issue.
My question is - when inserting a picture, there is a choice to 1) link or 2)
save with the document. Both options can be checked. What are the differences
between the choices and does that impact whether the picture is seen on a PC?
Thanks, :eyeroll:

If you link, all that PPT keeps in the presentation is a "pointer" to the file
on your hard drive. When the user opens the presentation, the link tells PPT
"Go here, get the picture from this file, display it."

If you send the file to somebody else, PPT will have a hard time with the "Go
here" part when it points back to your computer. ;-)

As a general rule, unless you have a very good reason for linking and
understand the pitfalls, you'll want to choose embed.

================================================
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com
================================================

Ask a Question