PowerPoint crashes with ALT+delete

L

LAFox

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

Every time I press ALT+delete, PowerPoint crashes. This is easily reproducible, and seems to be limited to a specific ppt file. I am not sure what is special about this particular file, but it happens repeatedly because out of habit I am trying to use ALT+delete to delete a whole word before the cursor.

I cannot find anything online. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Larry

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

Every time I press ALT+delete, PowerPoint crashes. This is easily reproducible, and seems to be limited to a specific ppt file. I am not sure what is special about this particular file, but it happens repeatedly because out of habit I am trying to use ALT+delete to delete a whole word before the cursor.

I cannot find anything online. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Since it only involves one specific file, how about opening a new, blank
presentation and then use Insert > Slides from file. Bring in half the
slides at a time until you narrow it down to the problem slide.

-Jim

L

LAFox

I tried what you suggested, but even with a new file and only 10 slides from the old one the same result... PowerPoint crashes. I then tried it on a brand new file with only 1 slide, as well as several old PowerPoint presentations, and the same thing.

Apparently I was wrong when I said it was limited to this file only. Funny - I tested it right before I posted the message and I thought it was OK. Guess not.

It seems like it is the application. Any other ideas? Thanks.
Larry

L

lteo

I am encountering the exact same issue with PowerPoint 2004 (latest updates). It doesn't matter what file it is; as long as I type Option-Delete, Powerpoint will display that spinning "beach ball" and I will have to Force-Quit.

This is on Mac OS X 10.5.2.

Looks like other users are seeing it too, but they did not report it here.

<http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=444301>

L

LAFox

So, I am obviously not the only one to which this happens. But so far MS has not offered a fix, and I refuse to upgrade to Office 2008.

Thanks for the link to the other forum. As discussed in that forum, I too was unaware that command+delete did the same thing as option+delete. I will try to remember to use this, but habits (albeit relatively new ones - I am only 1 year into using the Mac OS with my MacBook Pro) are hard to break.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question