Preventing the Setup Assistant from Displaying

S

spacecaptain

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Hi there.

To prevent the Office Setup Assistant from starting I used to edit the users com.microsoft.office.plist and add the following entry:

2008\FirstRun\SetupAssistCompleted
Value (Integer): 1
State: often

Then to apply it to all the users, I would add it as a managed preference in Workgroup Manager.

Since upgrading to 12.1.9 it appears that this setting change no longer prevents the Office Setup Assistant from opening. Is this something that was changed intentionally? If so, is there any other way to prevent each user from having to 'run through' the Office Setup Assistant?

From what I can tell, it appears as though a file in ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/ called Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist now stores some extra 'registration' information. And if this file does not exist (with the correct content) then the Office Setup Assistant will open.

As this file does not reside in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder this file cannot be managed with Workgroup Manager.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Ask a Question