Problem removing unwanted items under File

M

Mirf

Under File, I have New Works Template listed many times. Responses to a previous post under General Questions said this was probably caused by a Works Suite Add-in which I have successfully removed. The difficulty now is that I haven't been able to remove the extra listings already created.

I was advised to open Tools/Customize and drag the extra listings off the menu. In attempting this, I ran into two obstacles. First, under Commands, the menu for File did not list New Works Template at all. But, preceding the expected File items, there were the following three listings:

New . . . (I don't know if the ellipses mean anything) (Description said, "Creates new, blank file),

New (without ellipses) (Description said, "Creates new, blank file based on the default template), and

New (without ellipses) (Description said, "No Help topic associated with this item).

The third New listing had a right-pointing arrow at the right side, suggesting that additional information existed. I clicked on it hoping to find the redundant listings but got only a small square with a + in it, which disappeared as soon as I let up on the button.

None of the items would allow itself to be dragged anywhere and none of them activated the grayed-out Modify Selection box below.

I'm still mystified about how to eliminate the long line of New Works Template listings under the File heading. It's like having a house where the doors are too short. Every time I want to open, save, or print anything I bump my head on these unwanted items and they're just plain annoying.

Thanks much,
Miranda F.

G

Greg Maxey

Miranda,

View>Toolbars>Customize. The Customize dialog box will open. Forget about
it for now.

Go to the File menu and select one of the offending Works Template listings.
Drag it off the menu and drop it in a blank space in the document. That one
is now dead. Repeat for each offending listing.

Close the Customize dialog box.

M

Mirf

Thanks, Greg, for your advice. I did what you suggested and arrived at the same dialog box as I did when going through Tools. And I had the same problem. The extra listings don't seem to show up anywhere but under File in a document. They don't appear per se in the dialog box that would let me remove them. What does appear is listed in my original post--questionable items labeled New that won't be dragged and grayed-out modify selection option

I also tried dragging from the drop down menu without any luck. If I hit ALT at the same time as I hit File, file doesn't open. If I hit open File to reveal the dreaded New Works Template listings and then hit ALT, File closes. If I simply try dagging the offending items, either from the drop-down File menu or from the dialog box (where I think they are hiding under the label New), nothing happens at all.

I double-checked to make sure that drag-and-drop editing was enabled. I also tested it in a document and it worked just fine.

Why don't these blasted items show up where they can be edited

Is it possible to remove File and then Add a normal version back to the command line

Thanks
Mirand

----- Greg Maxey wrote: ----

Miranda

View>Toolbars>Customize. The Customize dialog box will open. Forget abou
it for now

Go to the File menu and select one of the offending Works Template listings
Drag it off the menu and drop it in a blank space in the document. That on
is now dead. Repeat for each offending listing

Close the Customize dialog box

--
Greg Maxe
A peer in "peer to peer" suppor
Rockledge, F
To e-mail, edit out the "w...spam" in (e-mail address removed)

Mirf wrote

G

Greg Maxey

Miranda,

I am sorry but your are missing the point.

Lets try again.

1. Open any document that displays the offending Works Template Command
under the file menu.
2. Click View>Toolbars>Customize
3. The Customize Dialog Box will open. Forget about it for now. This means
don't worry about anything is says or shows and leave it alone.
4. Click on the file menu in your document that has the offending commands.
5. Select one of the commands with the left button of your mouse and holding
the left button depressed, drag the command off of your menu and drop it in
the document somewhere (anywhere just not on another toolbar or menu).
6. Repeat step 5 until all are gone.
7. Click the OK button in the Customize dialong box that you have been
ignoring up until this point.

Alternatively, yes you can remove the entire file menu and replace it but
lets try the process above first.

M

Mirf

Hurrah, hurrah. I finally get it. I thought you were talking about two completely separate operations. Once I understood that they had to be done at the same time, it took about thirty seconds to get rid of something that has been plaguing me for months. I can't thank you enough for "raising the doors" in my wee house. I look forward to going in and out of documents without bumping my poor addled head on a string of New Works Templates

Thanks ever so much
Mirand

----- Greg Maxey wrote: ----

Miranda

I am sorry but your are missing the point

Lets try again

1. Open any document that displays the offending Works Template Comman
under the file menu
2. Click View>Toolbars>Customiz
3. The Customize Dialog Box will open. Forget about it for now. This mean
don't worry about anything is says or shows and leave it alone
4. Click on the file menu in your document that has the offending commands
5. Select one of the commands with the left button of your mouse and holdin
the left button depressed, drag the command off of your menu and drop it i
the document somewhere (anywhere just not on another toolbar or menu)
6. Repeat step 5 until all are gone
7. Click the OK button in the Customize dialong box that you have bee
ignoring up until this point

Alternatively, yes you can remove the entire file menu and replace it bu
lets try the process above first

--
Greg Maxe
A peer in "peer to peer" suppor
Rockledge, F
To e-mail, edit out the "w...spam" in (e-mail address removed)

Mirf wrote

Ask a Question