Problems with implementing a Timeline solution.

C

CrimsonFury

We have a software solution that allows a user to drop a timeline chart onto a visio page. Our application prompts the user with a form that allows them to fill in some initial timeline bar properties, then reads through a recordset and drops milestones based on the dates in the records. This solution works fine in visio 2002. In visio 2002, when dropping a timeline bar, by default it has a method in the events section in the 'onDrop' cell. This method gets called and pops up a built in visio 2002 properties form. By taking this method out of the 'onDrop' cell, we were able to disable the popup form and basically use our own form to get the properties for the bar. Then dropping the milestones is easy. Once each milestone is assigned a date they position themselves on the bar accordingly. Now in visio 2003 this isn't the case. When dropping a visio 2003 timeline bar, the same thing happens. A popup form comes up asking you to fill out some information. The shapesheet also yeilds a default method in the 'onDrop' cell that calls this form. Now if I take this method out like we did for 2002, it seems to not pop up the form and the bar takes our properties from our form instead. Well the only problem is, now the milestone's do not position themselves on the bar even though they have their dates set. It seems that in 2003 the method that gets called to popup the built in form, also has some sort of initialization sequence built in. This seems to make sure the bar is recognized as a timeline bar, so the milestone's can act properly. I need to be able to drop these bars without the form popping up, and I need them to 'initialize' or at least be recognized by the application as a timeline bar, so my milestone's can position themselves. I need to know if there is a work around for this or to know the right way to do this in 2003.

Ask a Question