Question about what "Home" means in the Home and Student Edition

T

tyronehowe

Hello All

I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me please.

I am seriously considering buying the "Office 2008 for Mac - Home and Student Edition" and I want to check what is allowed by the EULA.

I like the 3 licenses because both my wife and I have a Mac and would be able to use Office 2008.

However, both of us receive both "work" related email as well as "personal/home" email (we each use one email address for everything). Also, occasionally we might write a “work” related letter in Word, although mostly just “home” related stuff.

Is this still OK to use the "Home and Student Edition"? Or does the reception and reply of any work related email mean we would have to get the normal (much more expensive) version?

That would cost us 2 x £350 instead of 1 x £99!!

Thanks in advance

Tyrone Howe

D

Diane Ross

I am seriously considering buying the "Office 2008 for Mac - Home and Student
Edition" and I want to check what is allowed by the EULA.

I like the 3 licenses because both my wife and I have a Mac and would be able
to use Office 2008.

However, both of us receive both "work" related email as well as
"personal/home" email (we each use one email address for everything). Also,
occasionally we might write a ³work² related letter in Word, although mostly
just ³home² related stuff.

Is this still OK to use the "Home and Student Edition"? Or does the reception
and reply of any work related email mean we would have to get the normal (much
more expensive) version?

I would think that your Primary use is for Home. You are not using it in a
business setting so I don't see a violation of the EULA.

T

tyronehowe

Hello Diane

Thank you very much for your quick reply. That is really good news.

No, we would not be using the software in a business setting, just using at home for both work and home things; mostly home.

I guess that you my wife's situation is slightly different from mine. She has a kind of "home office" (meaning she works from home sometimes, but mostly away from home) although again, I would think the majority of her email / word usage is home.

I guess that this is still within the confines of the "Home and Student" licence?

Thanks again

Tyrone Howe

T

tyronehowe

Hello Daiya

Thanks for your reply.

I think you must be correct. I followed the link you suggested but couldn't find anything specifically about what constitutes "Work" or "Home" - but I have to say that my gut feel is that you must be right and that this would be classified as "business use" and hence need the more expensive product.

It’s a shame because this type of fairly “casual” work use means a price difference of 700% which we could not possibly justify.

Possibly there is a need for a product version between “Home and Student” and “Standard”? Maybe something like “Home Office use” for very small businesses or home office use?

Anyway my thanks to the replies to my question.

Regards

Tyrone Howe

D

Daiya Mitchell

Some companies offer discounted licenses that employees can use to work
at home. If your wife's company does such, then the spirit of the EULA
may be fulfilled, even if not the letter.

T

tyronehowe

Again thanks

I will suggest to ger that she asks her employer.

Meanwhile, I am looking at eBay (US site, not UK) to buy the full Office 2008 since it is a LOT cheaper.

May I Just ask - if I purchase a full version from the US (via eBay), will it work (and is it licensed) to use in the UK?

I am hoping the answer is yes!

Thanks again

Tyrone Howe

D

Diane Ross

Meanwhile, I am looking at eBay (US site, not UK) to buy the full Office 2008
since it is a LOT cheaper.

Amazon has good prices. Be careful buying on eBay. Many are not sealed
copies.
May I Just ask - if I purchase a full version from the US (via eBay), will it
work (and is it licensed) to use in the UK?

I think the difference is in the proofing tools. The US and UK _should_ work
for you. I'm not sure they will ship to you out of the US though.

W

William Smith

T

tyronehowe

Thanks William - I will get my wife to pass this info on to her employee.

Thank you Diane - Hmmmm I've been thinking. Do you know if it's possible to download proofing tools for different geographic areas? For example, I might buy a UK version of Office 2008 and yet I might be (say) scripting for an American client and would want the proofing tools to be correct for the USA? Is there anything that says one MUST use the proofing tools designed for the area in which you live?

Again thanks in advance

Tyrone Howe

M

Michel Bintener

Hi,

Office comes with an entire collection of proofing tools, and they're the
same across all the international versions. In other words, if you buy the
US version, you will still have access to the English (UK), French, German,
Spanish etc. spell checkers.

Thanks William - I will get my wife to pass this info on to her employee.

Thank you Diane - Hmmmm I've been thinking. Do you know if it's possible to
download proofing tools for different geographic areas? For example, I might
buy a UK version of Office 2008 and yet I might be (say) scripting for an
American client and would want the proofing tools to be correct for the USA?
Is there anything that says one MUST use the proofing tools designed for the
area in which you live?

Again thanks in advance

Tyrone Howe

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP
Office:mac (Entourage & Word)

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

T

tyronehowe

Hello Michel

Thanks - you guys really have answered all my questions!

I have decided to buy two versions, The Home version for me and the standard version for my wife (both from USA eBay).

A satisfied customer here!

Regards

Tyrone Howe

M

Mr. Strat

Hello Michel<br>
<br>
Thanks - you guys really have answered all my questions!<br>
<br>
I have decided to buy two versions, The Home version for me and the standard
version for my wife (both from USA eBay).<br>
<br>
A satisfied customer here!<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Tyrone Howe

Quit posting in HTML, you idiot!

D

Daiya Mitchell

Diane said:
The <br> tags are what users in some newsreaders are seeing from the new
Mactopia interface. We're waiting on a fix.

And he's got no control over it, so don't curse him. If they are posting
from an officeformac.com address, they are using the new Mactopia
portal, and it's got some issues.

T

TXCiclista

I think you would be safe on the "working on work at home" as long as you had a copy of Office at work. If, however, you were using your home version of Word to avoid buying it at work, that would be a violation of the EULA (since you be circumventing requirement to buy a business version for use in a business). If you buy it for your wife to use in a home business, you would be violating the EULA.

On the other hand...
You can currently buy Office 2004 for &lt;$150 and then upgrade to the "full, super-duper" version with no limitations for only $10. This would be the cheapest way to get a legitimate version for business use.

T

tyronehowe

Thanks to all again

Yes, TXCiclista, I totally agree with you. If it is the odd work related email then that's one thing, but actually using Word to create, say, the odd work related letter at home MUST be against the licence. I just wished price difference (in the UK) wasn't so different (£350 for Standard, £100 for the 3 licence Home and Student).

Today I purchased a local version of the "Home and Student" for myself and I am currently looking at eBay USA checking prices for the Standard version (but having to weigh in things like import duty / VAT and so on).

I agree it's unlikely I'd be caught, but I really want to do this properly (hence posting on this forum in the first place).

Another odd situation I have thought about: One of the things I am about to start (and probably never finish) is writing a novel. So right now I can safely "Home and Student" but if my novel gets published I then would then presumably have to upgrade to Standard because it's now technically "work" :)

Well I'll worry about that happy day if it ever happens!

Regards

Tyrone Howe

J

John McGhie

Check the source of his message before you make an even bigger idiot of your
self, you idiot!

Quit posting in HTML, you idiot!

--
Don't wait for your answer, click here: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia. S33°53'34.20 E151°14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:[email protected]

T

TXCiclista

Tyrone, did you check to see if the upgrade "special" is valid in the UK? My understanding (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) is that you could buy "Student and Teacher 2004" then upgrade to the "full" standard version for only the cost of shipping the CD. It appears that MS may have accidentally given you a method to get a "standard" license while paying the "student" price. By all appearances, it would be 100% legitimate and they would have no recourse. The deal ends in March (in the US) if I remember correctly, so it might be something to investigate.

T

tyronehowe

Hello TXCiclista

I cannot find this special upgrade that you mention, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Do you have a link to the US version please?

Thanks

Tyrone Howe

Ask a Question