Sound Set in Entourage 2008 Gone?

A

AlphaBovine

Just installed Office 2008 on a 10.5.1 MacBook Pro and working great. Only complaint is other than the opening "chime" all the other notification sounds no longer play. I have restarted, confirmed that the Entourage Sound Set file is still under my Microsoft User Data Folder, but nothing plays anymore. While this isn't a major issue, I am in another part of the office and I rely on the audible notification for new messages so I don't have to go back and check every few min.

Anybody have any thoughts?

P

PGB

Here's what I noticed. Launch Entourage 2008. Choose File > Preferences > Notifications. Click on the speaker icons. The sounds play fine.

Now invoke an action that will yield some sounds. I chose Send/Receive on my five email accounts. Only one "No mail sound" is played (instead of five).

More importantly, none of the sounds work. Not as a result of the normal actions and not by clicking the speaker icons in the Preferences window.

Quit and relaunch Entourage. The first notification sound will work again. But from that point on, no sound.

Definitely a bug in Entourage 2008.

A

Acehurd

I also installed Office 2008 on my MacBook Pro 10.5.1 and cannot get the sounds to work. I'm also having a problem with clicking on "New Mail" and nothing happens.

Any help available?????

A

Acehurd

Yes. I can receive all of my email accounts but the mail (new) does not respond and give me a new window to compose in.

A

AlphaBovine

To get back to the sound issue, I tried your steps there PGB and when I did a cold relaunch of Entourage I still get the welcome "Chime" but that is about it. I go straight to preferences and click on the speaker icons and the sounds do not play.

Just for kicks, I went back in Time Machine and replaced the Entourage Sound Set with the one from 2004 before I had installed '08 to see if that would have any affect...nada.

At this point I don't know what the issue is. I get the first Chimes and then maybe one sound before it goes mute. I am not a programmer or debugger so I have no clue where to begin.

F

FREE

I'm getting the same thing.

Maybe it's because I/we didn't delete 2004?

Also, the Microsoft Sound Set in my Entourage Sound Sets folder is still from '04. Shouldn't there be an '08 Sound Set?

W

William Smith

Just installed Office 2008 on a 10.5.1 MacBook Pro and working great.
Only complaint is other than the opening "chime" all the other
notification sounds no longer play. I have restarted, confirmed that the
Entourage Sound Set file is still under my Microsoft User Data Folder,
but nothing plays anymore. While this isn't a major issue, I am in
another part of the office and I rely on the audible notification for
new messages so I don't have to go back and check every few min.

Entourage 2008 does not support soundsets for Entourage 2004. However, a
different method does exist to allow users to create their own
soundsets. I've asked Microsoft if I can put up a tutorial on The
Entourage Help Blog based on some information provided me. I'll post
when something becomes available.

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows
Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>

G

I just spent 2.5 hrs with Microsoft Support and my sending mail issue was resolved by rebuilding my data base in the Identities folder. Their researchers said they are aware of the sound issue and there will be a "bug fix" soon

W

William Smith

Just installed Office 2008 on a 10.5.1 MacBook Pro and working great.
Only complaint is other than the opening "chime" all the other
notification sounds no longer play. I have restarted, confirmed that the
Entourage Sound Set file is still under my Microsoft User Data Folder,
but nothing plays anymore. While this isn't a major issue, I am in
another part of the office and I rely on the audible notification for
new messages so I don't have to go back and check every few min.

Unlike Entourage 2004, Entourage 2008 now uses the Mac OS X system's
Alert Volume setting instead of the Output Volume setting.

Be sure both are turned up in your Sounds preference pane.

Hope this helps!

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows
Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/>

D

Diane Ross

Yes. I can receive all of my email accounts but the mail (new) does not
respond and give me a new window to compose in.

The toolbar changes depending on what view you are in. If you are in Tasks
for example, clicking on New gets you a new Task.

M

Michael Jardine

Awesome! Looking forward to it...

Entourage 2008 does not support soundsets for Entourage 2004. However, a
different method does exist to allow users to create their own
soundsets. I've asked Microsoft if I can put up a tutorial on The
Entourage Help Blog based on some information provided me. I'll post
when something becomes available.

D

Diane Ross

Similarly, I can't get any of the custom soundsets I have to work.

What version and what is this snippet in addition to?

There is a change to soundsets in Entourage 2008. Entourage has a whole new
sound set format that isn't backward compatible. They are mp3 files now. I
expect we'll see a way to update out soon.

This is a separate issue from no sounds. You could try quitting Entourage
and restarting to see if they return.

D

Darren Wright

When i open entourage i get the welcome sound, I then go to check my email I get the no new messages sound then i get no more sounds until i quit the app and start again. (Macbook Pro OS X 10.5.1) (works fine if i put 2004 back on) (using the standard microsoft sound set)

- I have check this on my mac pro running 10.4.11 and this seems ok
- Created a new user SAME PROBLEM?
- completely deleted all traces of office 2004 and 2008, preferences, fonts etc. SAME PROBLEM?

A

AlphaBovine

Ok, I think after reading all this it is just a bug that will be fixed by a later updated. It is what happens when you get a program right out of the gate.

William Smith, I don't understand your post however that 2008 doesn't support custom sound sets. I am not talking about custom sound sets, I am talking about when you navigate to Preferences &gt; Notifications and the Default sound set looks just like it did in 2004. Also, I did delete 2004 as the set up assistant removed it to the trash after I finished installing 2008.

Now if 2008 doesn't support the old sound set standard, why would they have the same screen in the preferences that looks like the did? It just doesn't make sense.

Also the alert sounds are all the way up and since you hear the first chime and no mail "doink" then silence, it doesn't make sense that alert sounds would be down either.

I have another Desktop 1.42GHz G4 and I just reformatted it and put 10.4.11 on it and before I did anything else I did a clean install of 2008 and the sound problem was present on there as well so I know it isn't just my computer.

That leaves me to believe that it is indeed a bug a Sounds said earlier in the postings and that I will wait for an update. If it isn't fixed in the first update I will reopen the thread but until then I will chalk it up to an early program bug.

Thanks for your input everyone!

P

PGB

Please note that the problem we're pointing out here is *not* an output volume setting problem. The very first time an newly-launched instance of Entourage 2008 tries to play a notification sound based on an action, it will play just fine. (That might be the welcome chime. I have this chime turned off, so the first sound played on my computer might be a result of no-mail-fetched.) After the first sound is played, no sound. Before the first notification sound based on an action, the speaker icons in the Preferences window will play the notification sounds. After the first notification sound based on an action, the speaker icons in the Preferences window *will not* play the notification sounds.

I've ruled out the output volume setting problem. I've also used Audio Midi Setup to rule out a sampling rate problem.

(So turn off your welcome notification sound, then relaunch Entourage 2008. Choose Entourage &gt; Preference &gt; Notifications. You'll be able to play all of the sounds by clicking the speaker icons. Once an action triggers one of these sounds, no sounds will ever be played again. So...the sounds are there and you can hear them...until the first sound is triggered.)

F

FREE

....with AlphaBovine and PGB.

I've installed it on two machines (both running 10.5.1) and have the same problem (no notifications after initial) on both.

It's not an output volume problem and has nothing to do with custom sound sets.

I've gone back to '04 until this bug is fixed.

R

rvc4me

I have been having this problem since the beta came out. Makes you
wonder why MS did not fix this before the final release. Surley they
or their testers saw this issue months ago. I was so hoping that it
would be gone in the final, but there it was again last night after I
installed the program.

A

Andy Ruff

Here¹s a hunch... Based on looking at some things, it appears to happen to
me after the ³Sent Mail² sound is played. If you disable this sound, do you
still lose your sounds on Leopard?