Sound Set in Entourage 2008 Gone?

A

aRKay

See my recent post 03.07.2008 about the no sound notification problem. I have
done extensive testing on this.
Entourage 2008 work in Tiger but not in Leopard. The sounds are WAVE sounds
located in the core framework in the Resources folder. The are not the same
sound codecs as in the 2004 or 2001. 2008 will not use your sound sets from
2004. They are the more popular WAVE audio files.
If yo email me I can give you the direct folder hierarchy as to where the
sound files are.
I too rely on these sounds to notify me when email arrives. I have gone back
to Entourage 2004 until Microsoft fixes this problem.

I will just wait for the new update and hope MS addresses this issue.

G

gotart

For me the sounds are fixed after the update.
That's on an intel and ppc mac. 10.5.2.
Fix your permissions and restart. Just a thought.

A

amandawinton

My sounds are back after installing the 12.0.1 update on MacBook Pro, 10.5.2.
No fixing of permissions or restarting required!

A

AlphaBovine

This will be my last post in the thread as the problem for me is fixed now with the 12.0.1 update. Though it didn't appear in my AutoUpdate daily check, the manual download and install took care of the sound problem.

Thanks to all who helped each other on this post!

A

Amy Jurist

I just installed the update and my sounds are working great... finally. I just helped my friend do it and her's made the noises again too. After I went into preferences and made sure all the boxes i wanted were selected in the notification section, I did have to quit entourage and restart and then everything was groovy.

Just installed Office 2008 on a 10.5.1 MacBook Pro and working great. Only complaint is other than the opening "chime" all the other notification sounds no longer play. I have restarted, confirmed that the Entourage Sound Set file is still under my Microsoft User Data Folder, but nothing plays anymore. While this isn't a major issue, I am in another part of the office and I rely on the audible notification for new messages so I don't have to go back and check every few min.

E

eplantz

Just installed Office 2008 on a 10.5.1 MacBook Pro and working great. Onlycomplaint is other than the opening "chime" all the other notification sounds no longer play. I have restarted, confirmed that the Entourage Sound Set file is still under my Microsoft User Data Folder, but nothing plays anymore.. While this isn't a major issue, I am in another part of the office and I rely on the audible notification for new messages so I don't have to go back and check every few min.

did you apply the Office 2008 update to 12.0.1?????

M

MichaelM

Update doesn't solve the problem for me.
Sounds came back for a bit, but are gone again!
Running OS 10.5.2 on a PowerPC iBook G4 if that info helps.
Truly frustrating.
I believe Office 2008 is a malicious virus masquerading as an application. May try to go back to Office X, but that's not easy...

S

Sorapin

I just found the way to fix it. Go to the link below to download a sound set file and put in in your Microsoft User Data > Entourage Sound Sets. Before you put the file into this folder, drag any file out first (no file in this folder). Then run a test by go to Entourage > Preferences > Notification. Click on the sound icon to hear the sound. If you can hear the sound that means you got it right. If not try to quit the program and redo it one more time.
Good Luck!

<http://www.babgroupdesign.com/EntSoundSet.sitx>

J

javier.drd

I downloaded the Sorapin sound set and nothing.
Every try just makes it work for a little time. Then sounds are gone
again.

Could anyone post a working "Entourage Sound Set"?

T

tony Davids

I have a Powerbook Intel Core Duo running 10.5.2 and installed 12.0.1 to Entourage. The sounds came back immediately and worked fine everyday until a week ago for no apparent reason. I have tried all the above downloads and suggestions and tried to re install 12.0.1 but it won't re update as it already detects it is there.

To uninstall the 12.0.1 update, MS Help suggests deleting MS Office and starting all over again.

Anybody find a permanent fix yet?

Many thanks - Tony - orlando, Fl

B

BoliviaKid

The recently-released (May 14th) SP1 fixed this problem for me. Install it and give it a try. FYI - installing SP1 was easy but at first it appeared that the problem wasn't fixed. I rebooted just to see if would make a difference and when it came back up all the notification sounds were there so you may need to reboot after installing SP1 to fix this particular problem.

Hope that works for you.

A

Arafat

Am I to believe that Microsoft does not know of this sound-set issue? They do frequent this forum. Why can't they make a statement or issue a patch/update is beyond me…a non-gazillion making software making behemoth. These companies make me sick.

D

Diane Ross

Am I to believe that Microsoft does not know of this sound-set issue? They do
frequent this forum. Why can't they make a statement or issue a patch/update
is beyond me…a non-gazillion making software making behemoth. These companies
make me sick.

This was fixed in the update. Make sure you are updated to 12.1.0.

F

fossarino

Knock knock--Microsoft, are you out there? Next Entourage update should include a sound set converter. We will look away from this Vista thingy for a while if you do put in a soundset converter for Entourage.

Ask a Question