Unable to open .doc files

D

dickeyc

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

I had a user that wanted to upgrade from Office 2004 to Office 2008. After using Office 2008 for a few days, the user realized that it was not compatible with another piece of software, they wanted to go back to Office 2004. So I uninstalled Office 2008 and reinstalled Office 2004. Now when the user attempts to open a .doc, .ppt, .xls (any 2004 formatted file), they receive an error, "unable to process command". If you go to the Get Info option, it says that it is attempting to open the file with Microsoft Word.app. I then change that option to Microsoft Word (11.5.0) and it will open just fine. But the user has to do this for every file. I did try and make the change to all those file types (.doc), but it won't stick. Is there any way of getting all of the Office 2004 files to open without having to change the associated program on each individual file?

C

CyberTaz

Did you use the Remove Office utility to remove 2008? If not, that's the
problem. Simply dragging stuff to the Trash just does not work for complex
suites of software. OS X thinks 2008 is still installed & allocates priority
for the file type. Try running Remove Office from the 2008 DVD. You may
have to run it more than once.

Reply back if that doesn't resolve it.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question