Windows XP installation screwup

S

spike745

Hey
Alright, I'm not sure if there's anyway I can fix this. I'll skip through how I got to this point because it's long and probably involves several mistakes on my part, but here's my situation

I'd like to install Windows XP on my laptop, the laptop's hard drive is partitioned into two drives, C and D. The external CD ROM is shot, but the contents of the Windows XP installation CD were copied onto the D drive. The C drive has been formatted. When I boot with the Windows XP boot disks, the computer looks for a CD ROM with the Windows XP CD, doesn't find one and quits the installation process

Is there any way to install Windows XP from a partition on a hard drive instead of from a CD?

R

ron

spike745 said:
Hey,
Alright, I'm not sure if there's anyway I can fix this. I'll skip through
how I got to this point because it's long and probably involves several
mistakes on my part, but here's my situation.
I'd like to install Windows XP on my laptop, the laptop's hard drive is
partitioned into two drives, C and D. The external CD ROM is shot, but the
contents of the Windows XP installation CD were copied onto the D drive.
The C drive has been formatted. When I boot with the Windows XP boot disks,
the computer looks for a CD ROM with the Windows XP CD, doesn't find one and
quits the installation process.
Is there any way to install Windows XP from a partition on a hard drive
instead of from a CD?

try, after booting, going to the d: drive and running setup from there

S

spike745

I've tried that but I get a message saying the program can't be run in dos. That's the reason that Windows XP boot disks are needed (I think...) but the boot disks seem to assume the installation source is a cd.

Ask a Question