Access 2002-2003 question (To mde or not? To install Access or not?)

T

Tcs

I have a client on which I need to run Access. At a minimum I need to run a .mde. (This client is
only being used to allow an app on this client to gain access to data on our AS/400, via DB2 Connect
- PE (ODBC). This app will talk to the .mdX file on this client, which will look at only one linked
table on the AS/400. (This...(gulp)...*should* work.)

Access is not installed on this client. When I tried to run a .mdb, Windows wanted to install
Access. Hmmm... So I figured that what I needed was a .mde file. So I created one. After I moved
my .mde file to this client, when I tried to run this .mde, Windows wanted to...once again...install
MS Access. So...

Can anyone enlighten me as to just what the heck I need to make this work? This .mdb/.mde file only
needs to contain a link to just ONE TABLE (as far as I know). This link will be via ODBC (IBM DB2
Connect - Personal Edition) to our DB2 database on our AS/400.

-----

This is how I gain access to my data from my PC (my daily client). But unlike this new client PC,
my daily client PC *does* have MS Access installed. I don't *want* to install Access on this new
client PC...IF I DON'T HAVE TO. But will if I must.

Any help anyone can provide would be most appreciated. I thank you in advance...

Tom

J

John Spencer

You must. Access applications require either a full-blown Access or a
runtime copy. Until the release of 2007, the only way to get a licensed
copy of the runtime was to purchase the developers addition - named
differently for each release of Office.

'====================================================
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
Center for Health Program Development and Management
University of Maryland Baltimore County