Bug with new line embedded in formula saved by Excel 2007 .xlsx

F

factor

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Hi, wondering if anyone knows how to bug report this?

Excel 2008 and the Open XML Converter have a parse bug when reading .xlsx files.

From Excel 2007 on a PC I saved two test cases. One of them includes an embedded newline in a formula the other does not. Example files at:
<http://www.centenary.org.au/users/robertm/Excel2008_newline_bug/>

The 'no-line-break' file opens fine in everything.
The 'line-break' file opens fine in Excel 2007, but not in Excel 2008. (the difference between the files being an embedded line break in the formula in A5).

The behaviour of Open XML Converter 1.0.0 is to fail with the 'line-break' file. The behaviour of Open XML Converter 1.0.1 is to convert the 'line-break' file, but entirely strip the formula (it doesn't understand it due to the embedded new-line). Open XML Converter 1.0.1 also does this failed conversion with no warning - not good!

Note an embedded new-line in a formula is understood when saved as a .xls file. Hence an embedded new-line is expected to work, it is just a parse error when the Mac Excel tries to read the .xlsx file.

P

Pat McMillan

Thanks for the report. I work on the Mac Excel team, and I'll report this.

Thanks,

Pat

Ask a Question