Cannot add data as labels for the horizontal (category) axis

• Thread starter warteschleifenpianist
  • Start date
W

warteschleifenpianist

I wanted to make an ordinary line chart. As typically I want to have the dates (years) to which my values belong on the horizontal (category) axis. In Excel 2004 this could be done in the data editor for the chart. In the tab "Series" data could be selected for the category axis labels. In Excel 2008 the data editor for charts is modified, the two tabs are merged, but the option to select data as labels for the category axis is missing. Without this option I cannot create the most ordinary diagrame with Excel 2008, just when I started liking it.

Any answers for this problem?

S

Steve

I am having the same issue. I want to have the data in the chart and the dates along the x-axis. I just get numbers one through ...if I change it to date I always get Jan.1, Jan 2, etc.

Anybody know how to get dates on the x-axis - I have them on the chart.

B

Ben

I'm having exactly the same problem! I posted this question to the forums but nobody has replied:

At first I just thought I was missing something but maybe not? It's a bit ridiculous if you can't add x-axis labels to a chart. Basically makes charting data useless for me.

B

Ben

So, I called microsoft support and got the issue sorted out (not 100% to my liking but at least it works).

In order to make an x-axis label, you have to start the chart off by selecting 2 columns of data with your label on the left hand column and your actual data in the right hand column. This should work if your label data is formatted to be text.

If your label is formatted as a number, then when you select your data, you have to start your selection 1 cell above your label/data (for example, if your label and data start at cell A2 and B2, you select cells A1 and B1 as well as the rest of your data). Then click on the type of chart you want.

Personally I'd much rather see a field for "x-axis labels" that existed in previous versions of excel.

C

codeman38

Excel 2007's way of handling X-axis labels is particularly cumbersome when the labels and data are not contiguous, requiring selecting one column, holding down Command, and selecting another column. The old method seems much more intuitive for cases like that.

N

NP3636

your advise is very useful, but I wonder in the case of having the topic of x-
axis because I have to leave a blank cell there...

Thank

G

Greg_Ashe

So, how do I mimic the analysis tool pac feature? I bought this software for my first ever class in stats so I'm no expert. Technical jargon only confuse me. I'm learning about pictographs, frequency charts, and different kinds of statistic configuration. I can't figure out how to label my charts. Can anyone help me? If not, this software is no good to me..boo hoo. Thanks

D

Drdul

This "feature" of Excel 2008 is driving me nuts. I wasted a half hour today trying to figure out how to add labels to the X axis. I finally fired up my ancient Windows laptop, added labels with Excel 2002, and then re-opened the spreadsheet on my Mac.

I'm not quite clear on the "solution" which Ben describes. In my case, my series labels are in column A, and data begins in column B. My X axis labels are all in a row across the top of the spreadhseet, beginning in column B. The labels are numbers (1992 through 2008). Excel picked up the series labels automatically, but no matter how I selected the data range, the X axis labels never appeared — all I got was numbers 1, 2, 3, etc. is there some magic technique for selecting the data range that I somehow overlooked?

I can't help but wonder why the Mac BU dropped the feature from Excel 2008 to specify a range for "Category (X) axis labels." However they intend users to select/add X axis labels in the new version is not at all obvious.

B

Bob Greenblatt

This "feature" of Excel 2008 is driving me nuts. I wasted a half hour today
trying to figure out how to add labels to the X axis. I finally fired up my
ancient Windows laptop, added labels with Excel 2002, and then re-opened the
spreadsheet on my Mac.

I'm not quite clear on the "solution" which Ben describes. In my case, my
series labels are in column A, and data begins in column B. My X axis labels
are all in a row across the top of the spreadhseet, beginning in column B. The
labels are numbers (1992 through 2008). Excel picked up the series labels
automatically, but no matter how I selected the data range, the X axis labels
never appeared — all I got was numbers 1, 2, 3, etc. is there some magic
technique for selecting the data range that I somehow overlooked?

I can't help but wonder why the Mac BU dropped the feature from Excel 2008 to
specify a range for "Category (X) axis labels." However they intend users to
select/add X axis labels in the new version is not at all obvious.
The feature was not dropped. Just moved. Select the chart, then select chart
options in the formatting palette. Select the axis and then enter the title.

D

Drdul

It's not the title I want, it's the category labels. The ones that in previous versions of Excel were called "Category (X) axis labels."

B

Bob Greenblatt

It's not the title I want, it's the category labels. The ones that in previous
versions of Excel were called "Category (X) axis labels."
Then just change that drop down to category axis, and enter the label you
want.

D

Drdul

Hi Bob:

For some reason, I'm not quite understanding your instructions. Under "Chart Options," I only see the option of adding a title to the "Horizontal (Category) Axis." I can't find any drop-down menu or otherwise where I can specify the labels for the axis.

I want to assign a range of cells so that they appear as the labels along the X axis (I have a dozen or so columns in my chart, and at the bottom of each column I want the value in the corresponding cell from within the specified range to appear). In previous versions of Excel, there was the option to specify the range for "Category (X) axis labels." I can't find anything similar in Excel 2008. I had expected to find it in the "Select Data Source" pop-up, which is activated by clicking "Edit..." under "Chart Data." That's where it used to live in previous versions.

Thanks for your help!

B

Bob Greenblatt

Hi Bob:

For some reason, I'm not quite understanding your instructions. Under "Chart
Options," I only see the option of adding a title to the "Horizontal
(Category) Axis." I can't find any drop-down menu or otherwise where I can
specify the labels for the axis.
Look at the little triangle next to title. Click it and you will have
options for Chart title and each axis. To link the title to a cell, add the
axis title as described above. Then enter a formula in the formula bar to
link to the range.
I want to assign a range of cells so that they appear as the labels along the
X axis (I have a dozen or so columns in my chart, and at the bottom of each
column I want the value in the corresponding cell from within the specified
range to appear).
You may have to change the chart type. Or reselect the range and draw the
chart again.

In previous versions of Excel, there was the option to specify the range for
"Category (X) axis labels." I can't find anything similar in Excel 2008. I had
expected to find it in the "Select Data Source" pop-up, which is activated by
clicking "Edit..." under "Chart Data." That's where it used to live in
previous versions.

If you are still having trouble, send me the workbook and an explanation of
what you want.

D

Drdul

Okay, here's how to do it (explanation courtesy of Bob Greenblatt — there's no way I could have figured this out on my own!):

To specify a range of cells as the labels on the X axis, click on one of the data series in the chart (for example, click on one of the colours in a bar chart).

When you do, you will see a range appear in the floating formula bar. In my case, the range in the formula bar was:

=SERIES(Summary!$A$5,,Summary!$B$5:$R$5,3)

The space between the two commas is where the X axis labels are specified. In my case, for whatever reason, Excel didn't pick up the labels when I created the chart. I added the range of cells containing the X axis labels (cells B3 through R3) like so:

=SERIES(Summary!$A$5,Summary!$B$3:$R$3,Summary!$B$5:$R$5,3)

Problem solved!

The challenge, of course, will be to remember how to do this in a few weeks. I can't believe that MS figured that was easier than the old way (where there was a clearly-labelled field in which a user could specify the range).

P

philip5572

Bob, thank you i agree with others, who would of thought that is where to add the x axis labels. Obviously no one at microsoft does charts with numbers on the axis or it would not have been so hidden.

I appreciated Ben's info he got from microsoft as it did help, i lost hours trying to figure this out.

Drdul....guess we will have to refer to these postings to remember as i am sure you are right, we will forget how to do this if we do not do it enough.

S

starr

Okay, so I was having the same problem as well. As a new Mac user I was completely lost in Excel, but I am now learning its just the new version of excel that was throwing me for a loop. Even after reading through how to fix this problem my co worker finally found the toolbar that assists you to label the title, x axis and y axis!!

Labeling the Title, X axis, and Y axis:

Go to the main toolbar in your worksheet and file the icon "TOOLBOX", once you click on toolbox the "FORMATTING PALETTE" will appear. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR GRAPH SELECTED.....then click on "CHART OPTIONS". Right under chart options you will see "TITLES" you can then select either chart title, x axis or y axis, then just type into the line below and label away!

After you label them you can then go back in and change the title like in the old format by just double clicking on it!!

SImple as can be NOW!!!

J

Jim Burroway

Thanks Drdul for figuring it out.

This is absolutely ridiculous! Especially when the X-data is adjascent to the Y-Data! The problem is compounded when you try to add more data to the graph by expanding the range of the X-data.

This has got to be the absolute WORST implementation of this "feature." It used to be so simple! How did this get screwed up so badly? It's a simple line graph, for Pete's sake!

S

spunkybart

Thank you Drdul for figuring that out! That is such a completely ODD thing to have to do to get values onto the X-axis!! That's a very basic sort of thing that should be in the user interface!

Ask a Question